09 February 2019

Desperado ~ What is Home???


Greetings Dear Reader,

“Desperado, oh, you ain't gettin' no younger
Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home…”

For so many years I tried to create what I thought was home.  I dreamed of greater and nobler things than I actually worked for.  I prayed for things that would have enhanced my flaws and thankfully did not get them.  At the deepest core of my being I know that home is not a physical construct or even a gathering of like souls.

One of the things that cements our hearts is our lack of understanding of or belief in what home really is.  There are things here that can become a semblance of home. We may be comfortable and think we are at peace.  It is not wrong to have a home here or find that the lights and fire give us peace and rest.  It is wrong to think that even the best abode here is home.

When I discussed pain and hunger yesterday, I left out their purpose.  Pain and hunger are supposed to drive us home.  So are peace and rest.  In following Christ, we are being led home.  Nothing about this fallen broken world is home.  When we lose sight of this, we begin to harden our hearts in a subtle dangerous way.  

Comfort and rest are not wrong.  They are, however, supposed to be the exception not the rule during our journey home.  As I have been processing and continue to process my failures, I see that I have taken refuge in things that make me callous to the real needs of others.  Pain, hunger, hearth and rest are all meant to drive us home.  They are all designed to show us what we do not want and what we truly desire.

At the core of my soul is a vagabond journeying to an undiscovered country.  I have always been dissatisfied with this world.  I have always wanted to discover what is next.  I have also been hard-heated and given to the things that delay me from that part of the journey.  I have let the wounds of life distract and delay me instead of drive me.  I have tried to create that which I do not have the power to create.  I have craved that which subtly hardened my heart. 

Home is that Undiscovered Country and I must journey well through this wilderness to get there.  We must journey there together whenever possible Dear Reader.  We are supposed to care for each other along the way.  What we must not do is forget that the sorrow and joy here are just shadows of that to which we journey.  Even the best home is just a welcoming inn with some warmth and light to rest us so that we may journey again tomorrow.  The deepest pain is designed to push us closer to Christ where the only real comfort abides.

I am thrilled to journey with you whenever I can Dear Reader.  I love you and it is our duty to keep each other’s hearts soft.  We can rest when we need to as long as we remember to remind each other that we have someplace to be and a long way to go to get there.  So, tell me how I can help you along the way whilst I douse the fire and pack up the tent.  We have ground to cover today…


The Road Goes Ever On and On – J.R.R. Tolkien – Performed by CamillasChoice

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever on and on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter            
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment