06 February 2019

Desperado ~ What We Have


Greetings Dear Reader,

“Now, it seems to me some fine things
Have been laid upon your table…”

Desperado – The Eagles

It might be good to listen to the song again today.  Whilst doing so, consider the many ways we disregard the value of what we have.  In my years as a technology professor I would always caution my students not to look at computer prices or features for six months after purchasing a new one.  The pain of new prices or better technology will devalue what we just obtained.

We fail to see the value of what we already have in things, situations, and relationships.  When it comes to love we are especially guilty of this.  We calcify our hearts bit by bit in the name of our independence and self-seeking.  We talk about self-love when it is usually selfishness wrapped in psychobabble.  Do not mistake this for me putting down the idea of developing a good self-image.  I see the value of that. 

What we must not do is become all about self.  We fail to see that there are priceless treasures of love in our lives.  We have the love of Jesus overflowing toward us constantly.  That is not enough for us. 

We have family members who love us and sacrifice for us.  We want something else.  We may have a spouse that loves us or even one who struggles to love us.  We fail to treasure him or her the way we are supposed to.

Some years ago, I made Thanksgiving Dinner for a large group of people.  Among my guests was a little girl who was precocious and had no problem speaking her mind.  The long table was filled with vast food in many varieties.  There was abundance and quality in the repast before us.  We paused to pray and the little girl refused to participate.  Her mum asked why she would not pray and without a thought she said, “There is no mac and cheese.”

We fail to appreciate what we have socially and materially to the point that we slowly build contempt for it.  We harbor resentment instead of forgiving.  We build bitterness or worse, complacency.  Over time instead of seeing the love that people have for us and treasuring it we harden our hearts to it.  The love of a spouse, parent, child, or friend becomes trash that we discard and abandon.

We have fine things.  We do not see past the blemishes to their value.  We forget to see the love that is there.  We justify our refusal to allow that love to be enough.  We refuse to be satisfied with what we have. 

Avalon had a pair of ruby earrings.  She lost one in the house and was saddened by this.  The next day I stepped on it in the hallway and it stuck in my foot.  After the Lego-like pain passed, I called out to her that I had found her earring.  Her first response, “Did you find the back?”

It is what we all do.  We fail to see the rubies that we have, or even have been returned to us when lost, and we seek the plastic back that is easily replaceable.  We do not take in the love that is offered us.  We become hard to it.

I must see the love that is in my life and let it be enough.  I must focus on showing love to others and acknowledging the love I am given, taking it in to full measure.  People may not show me love the way I wish it but they show it the way they can.  That needs to be what I treasure.  If I do not I will over the years become the Desperado.  So will you Dear Reader.  Our hearts will harden and we will find ourselves alone wishing for the love that we once had and wondering how we lost it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter            
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   


No comments:

Post a Comment