11 February 2019

Desperado ~ The Winter of Life


Greetings Dear Reader,

“Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?
The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine
It's hard to tell the night time from the day.”

I used to have a very dim view of my elders when they would say that they world is different than when they were young.  When they would bemoan that changes which they saw as negative and harmful, I would not see it the same way.  I would not see it and would think little of it.

I am now one of those.  I have discussed with some family and friends the changes I see in the world.  Paramount in those conversations is my thinking that there has been a recent significant change in the world.  It seems like the darkness in the world grows stronger and patches of real light are fewer.  Hearts are harder in so many places.

In many cultures, it is necessary for one to prepare for winter in order to survive.  Resources must be gathered and stored.  Sources of heat and shelter must be secured.  Winter comes and it does not care if we are prepared or not.  The place I lived last winter experienced severe bitter cold last week.  People died.

When I am alone, I ponder the winter of life.  What becomes vital is that I avoid the things that make a heart hard and a mind narrow. This becomes a constant choice to discipline my mind so that I keep my heart.  There are things one must do and things one must not do to avoid becoming hard-hearted in winter.

I must not ponder what I do not have.  It cannot be changed.  I can work toward what I wish for and desire.  I can manage what I desire to see that it aligns with what is good.  I have to guard against bitterness.  To do this, I must forgive everyone, every wrong, in every area as quickly and purely as possible.  I have to focus on faith and following in order to guard against finding anger and hardness as my companions.

The things that I must do are simple and complex all at once.  I must love everyone as they are, where they are no matter what the cost.  I have to realize that my resources to love are not limited.  The things that would scale and eventually harden my heart must be combatted by investing in things that soften it anew.

A friend recently posted a graphic that sums it up for me.  It was the image of a pie and the image of the numeric concept of Pi.   It quite simply said, “Love is not a pie, you hand out your eight pieces and you are done.  Love is Pi, irrational and never ending.”  The way to avoid a hard heart or to recover from one is to embrace this vital truth.  The great law is to love God and to love each other. 

Love is the thing that can chip away the stone from a heart.  If we work at loving others it is difficult to resist being loved.  Winter is coming Dear Reader.  If if you are young and in the spring time of your life you must still prepare for winter.  It is never too soon to being to love always.  It is never the wrong time to allow love into your heart and keep it safe from hardness.

I felt the wind change and know that winter is near.  I refuse to let the cold make my heart stiff and less responsive to love.  The cold may sting but I will carry inside me the love of Christ and make it free to anyone who wishes it.  I invite you to join me by this fire Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter            
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment