21 February 2019

Hobbits ~ Courage


Greetings Dear Reader,

“A sound, too, began to throb in his ears, a sort of bubbling like the noise of a large pot galloping on the fire, mixed with a rumble as of a gigantic tom-cat purring. This grew to the unmistakable gurgling noise of some vast animal snoring in its sleep down there in the red glow in front of him.  It was at this point that Bilbo stopped. Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did. The tremendous things that happened afterwards were as nothing compared to it. he fought the real battle in the tunnel alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait.”  The Hobbit

How often do we think of battle and danger when we think of courage?  Most often our image of courage tends toward the extraordinary.  It leans toward the great stories and amazing events.

We need to remember that all around us and perhaps even in us are amazing acts of courage every day.  Most of our obviously courageous choices are made in the quiet dark when we are alone.  There, where no one else is watching, we choose to do the right thing.  We continue to do that which moves us along in the journey in the right way. 

As the road opens before us there may be many dangers and toils that require our courage.  We practice it by doing the hard work alone and without any words.  We do the brave thing when we continue to follow in faith when all else seems despair.  We are courageous when we believe in the midst of our own doubt. 

It is in our mind that we must find our courage long before we are faced with goblins, spiders, and dragons.  It is the daily choice to be courageous that prepares us for the visible challenges.  Someone recently called me a coward because of choices I made.  I will not debate their label or call them out.  Rather, I will say that I have only one solution to fear: love

Bilbo found his courage because of his love for his companions.  He ventured from his comfortable Hobbit hole to aid them because he cared for their quest to regain their own home and hearth.  He grew to love them on the journey and when faced with the dragon, chose his love over his own fear.

I have a friend who is showing amazing courage right now by facing the same fears and doubts she has for years but doing so in faith.  I had to make hard choices in order to face some things that I had long avoided.  The common thread I find is that sometimes others will see fear or cowardice when we are actually being very brave.  It is only through our own faith and in our own hearts that we know the truth of our choices.

I have had to face some of my deepest fears of late Dear Reader.  I admit that there are times when that fear has been in charge.  There have also been those who have had the courage to show me love anyway.  It is the constant evidence of love and compassion that casts out fear and creates the fertile soil in which courage can grow.  At the heart of every courageous act is love, even if it means showing it to those who do not deserve it in our eyes.

Have courage Dear Reader.  I may not be able to do everything the way you wish me to do it.  I will, however, love you and pray for you to find the courage to continue the journey in faith and hope.  I will love you no matter what you have done or do.  I promise to love you no matter how you have or will treat me.  It is the only sure way I know to mitigate my own fear and help with yours.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment