29 March 2019

64” Screen

Greetings Dear Reader,

I want to say first that this is not a TV review or an attempt to make the case for giant televisions.  The idea of a TV that costs as much as a cheap used car is not something, I find appealing.  I did, however, find a bit of adventure and learning with one.

I visited a friend this week who had a brand new 64”, state the art television.  This is one of those with 360-degree vision, a billion shades of color, and the ability to turn into a chameleon on your wall when it is off.  I admit I was impressed with the blending of the screen into their sea-foam colored wall.  It somehow mimicked the color.  The addition of an image of the moon made it look like a framed painting or photograph.

It also uses a thin, almost invisible cable to attach all fourteen-million of his game consoles, video players, computers, and his cable to the screen.  He has theatre style seats that recline and are heated.  The chairs are perfectly situated so that the screen just touches the edge of one’s peripheral vision.

We were set to watch a movie and he and his spouse had laid out some very amazing appetizers from their equally technological kitchen.  Paul switch on the system from his chair mounted console that reminded me more of a starship than an easy chair.  Lights came on in the technology nook that sat just behind our line of sight.  He used his console to also extinguish the lights in the room.

Instantly the screen darkened for a moment and the logo of the video playback software filled the center.  The backlight to the screen adjusted to fit the presets of the function.  The comic book logo of the production company flickered across the screen and then it when dark for a few seconds before the movie began.

We both saw it at the same time.  I said nothing.  Paul paused the movie in its darkness and swore blue thunder.  About two inches from the center of the screen was a single, bright-white dead pixel.  This tiny failed node in the vast sea of working ones called to Paul as if taunting him.

I suggested that we would not notice it once the movie got rolling.  He grudgingly agreed and started the movie again.   I was correct that it was unnoticeable amidst the bright colors of costumed heroes and extensive explosions.  It was, however, the first thing that came up after the movie ended. 

Paul set the screen to black and went up to the wall to examine the petulant pixel.  He ranted a bit about the cost of the screen (closer to $3000 than $2000).  This Dear Reader is my point.   That single tiny dead pixel became the focus of my friend’s world.  The vast opulence of his life, the many blessings in his world, and the joy he has in all his success were forgotten over a single dead node.

I am not judging Paul.  I know that I can forget all that is good in my life over things that ultimately do not matter.   It is my obligation to hold all things in perspective.   When I fail to do so, I hurt others and miss opportunities to be gracious and kind.  Paul will be inconvenienced having to replace his amazing TV.  He still has more than most of us will ever have. 

Still, I must be vigilant that my pixel problems do not overtake the landscape of my life that is filled with grace and blessings.  I must ensure that I am not so narrowly focused that I neglect gratitude and humility in every moment.  I have so many things that will transcend the life of my technology and gadgets.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment