06 March 2019

Whatever! ~ Bill and Ted


Greetings Dear Reader,

In 1989 we watched as two stoner teenagers went on a quest through time to build their high school history report.  Most of it was farcical but we still laughed at Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.  It resulted in the word “excellent” becoming a single word catchphrase for quite some time. 

Seven years earlier, many of us read the book In Search of Excellence which taught lessons from American companies about being great.  The idea was to become excellent in customer service and getting the job done.  It informed much of my thinking as an educator and project manager.

I wonder often if we have lost the idea of excellence in what we do?  Do we think about things that are excellent?  Instead, do we settle for the mundane and the mediocre?  Perhaps we no longer understand what excellence is.  When we think, perhaps we need to search for excellence in our thinking.

Often in the early morning or late evening, I find myself thinking about things that I cannot change or having arguments in my head that are a waste of time and brain power.  They are not excellent thoughts.  I often literally shake my head to clear it and focus on prayer for a minute to chase the thoughts away.

I focus on things that are excellent to think about such as the Father’s love for me and positive things I can do about whatever thought was distracting me from good thoughts.  I also consider that I must search for excellence.  I must see what is good and focus on that.  I must acknowledge the bad, the less than excellent, and the mundane but then move on to the excellent.

I am required to think on good things leading to excellent thinking.  I must do so out of love.  I must think well.  Excellent thought can lead to excellent action if I let it.  Excellent action is a way to show love.  It is how we manifest the love we are to cultivate for each other.

If I hold on to anger, resentment, past hurts, or selfishness, I am not thinking or being excellent.  I work at thinking well because, as Thomas Traherne said, “To think well is to serve God in the interior court.”  If I meditate on the things that are excellent, I can more easily treat you with excellence Dear Reader.  As Bill and Ted concluded, we must “Be excellent to each other.” 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment