21 March 2019

Where Turns the Heart ~ Judgement

Greetings Dear Reader,

When thinking about training the heart muscle, we have to admit that it is long in muscle memory when it comes to judging others.  It is almost an autonomic response for us.   We pass judgment on almost everything. 

The difference is to know the difference.  We must judge between what is proper discernment of what is good and evil.  We have to assess what is the right thing to do and what is wrong for us.  Beyond that, there is the idea of passing judgment on other humans.  This is where our heart must be rigorously trained or harder still, retrained.


At the core of it is the entire idea of comparison and contrast over what we have judged to be good, evil, right, or wrong.  To put a light-hearted moment on this thinking we can consider the raging debate on social media on something over which I feel very strongly.  Please, Dear Reader, relax your judgment muscles as we discuss putting pineapple on pizza.

If I have not lost you just by bringing it up, I hope that you still love me after I confess.  One of my favorite pizzas is bacon, pineapple, and red onion.   I hope that your heart is not broken or that I have not created a rift between us.   I know that people feel very strongly about this and that the feelings are visceral. 

Do you see Dear Reader, how easily we judge others based on what we prefer?  The problem with the pineapple pizza debate is that we transfer the preference of toppings to the character of the individual.  We will reject people over their preferences instead of loving them.  There have been real arguments over which way the toilet paper goes on the roll and where to squeeze the toothpaste tube.  We train our hearts to turn toward judgment of those who do not fit our mold.

It is in this moment that we need to judge ourselves.  We need to assess if we believe that someone is worthy of judgment because they do not agree with us.  It is required that we love everyone.  There is little room for rejection in that.  We will look at rejection tomorrow but for today, we must ponder what we have trained our hearts to judge.

When my heart wants to beat out judgment, I must ask if I am showing love in my thinking.  I must decide if I am going to exercise selfish judgment or discern and then love.  There is only one right answer here in my judgment.

The training must be that we assess what we do and do not like honestly.  We must not transfer that assessment to the individual.  We must not become the one who rejects others based on things that ultimately do not matter.  Could you pass me another slice of that pizza Dear Reader?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment