16 March 2019

Second Thoughts ~ The Tension in Writing

Greetings Dear Reader,

Too often I want to stay up writing but time and weariness constrain me.  I do not often write about writing but I need to do so as it is a challenging path.  I love the time in front of the blank page even when it is a virtual one.  Stories and thoughts clamor to get out of my head but my failing fingers are too slow and error-prone.

I can often dictate what is there but I feel I miss the internal editing that happens whilst forming sentences.  Later editing loses the flashes of insight and thought that characters and situations whisper to me in the moment.  I am learning just how vital being in the moment is for my writing as well as life.   

This is a part of my journey that I have sought to enhance for some time.  Only recently, however, have I seen how vital it is to my faith, following, and storytelling.  I have to be in the moment with my characters to keep them real and fluid.  I must listen to their views on things and love them unconditionally even if they are vile and reprehensible.  Then again, if they get too cheeky, I can kill them off as well. 😊

The exercise in writing characters that are bad helps me to love people that are bad.  It teaches me to see them as a whole and not just the dimension that my protagonist encounters.  The story revolves around people who have real facets and some of those facets are flawed but not all of them.  Like life, no one is all bad but that does not mean that the badness does not dominate.

Still, if I am to produce a tenable villain, he or she must have something to interest you, Dear Reader.  I do not want you to hate him or her.  I wish for you to see his wretchedness and desire his reclamation.  I want you to catch a glimpse of how the Father feels when we cling to our own wretchedness when he pours love and life into us. 

A couple of friends regularly chide me because I write fiction in the present tense.  This is the core reason: we are required by the Father to live in the moment.  As our story unfolds, we are in the moment as it occurs.  I wish for you to also see others this way.  Enjoy the view if you can.  Enjoy the ride at any cost.  Learning to love in the moment will make the journey better.  Remember that we are all part of a greater story and I am just trying to help you see it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜Ê– ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment