02 March 2019

Whatever! ~ Right


Greetings Dear Reader,

We use the word “right” to signal that we agree with others and that we are asking if they agree with us.  We even use it in combination with “whatever” to ask others to agree with our indifference.  Whatever! Right?

I think that we have lost most of our understanding of what right means other than the direction we can turn on a red light.  We are so far from the thinking of doing what is right for the sake of doing what is right.  Part of the problem is that we have gotten away from a standard beyond ourselves of what is actually right.

Without a standard everyone chooses what he or she believes to be right and acts in that manner.  Without a standard for right and wrong, we subjugate right to our desires and selfish interests.  We do what is right in our own eyes and in the wake of it harm others.  We do not do right when it is convenient or costs us too much unless we are willing to give up our right to do as we please.

Please do not for a moment think that I believe I have mastered this.  Coming to the South again was the right thing to do but I have received anger and rejection for doing it.  I can see the long-term purpose for me in this and the potential benefits for others.  Still, we need a standard above ourselves for what is right and what is not.

I realize that you may not embrace my standard for that Dear Reader.  I attempt to follow Christ to determine what is right.  I still do things that I know are not right at times.  My heart is to choose right always but I fail.  Still, if you are not ready to follow Christ then I offer a bit of wisdom he gave that is true no matter what you believe. 

My Grandfather who loved me dearly and only loved Jesus more used to say, “Do what is right even when it hurts.”  He also said that “right is not right unless you can do it lovingly.”   When asked the greatest commandment Jesus responded that it is to love God and the second was like it, to love each other.

If you cannot do it out of love then it is not right.  I came here to learn again how to love without expectation, to love others no matter the cost, and to be sure that every other standard I hold is built on loving others no matter what the cost.  I had no idea how far down I would have to be stripped to get to this place.

I have had to face my failures in showing my love for others.  I have needed to endure rejection and hatred from others with love.  I have had beautiful conversations with people about the difference between loving others and placing expectations on them so that they could prove their love to me. 

Doing what is right is something to always ponder.  It is in doing right because of love that we prove that the right is, well right.  We cannot do right if we cannot do it out of love.  I cannot demand that someone do right out of anger and selfishness.  I cannot think that someone is worthy of anything less than my loving kindness and be thinking about right.  It is a narrow way but it is the truth. 

I am approaching an articulation of this that I will share with you when it is clear.  Avalon helped me process it better this week and her insights truly are a part of my journey to understanding. I also value your insights Dear Reader.  Feel free to share them with me as we walk.  Together we can think about whatever is right.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment