17 March 2019

Questions God Will Never Ask ~ Food

Greetings Dear Reader,

I had the privilege of eating with a friend at a new restaurant yesterday.  It was a good place to eat and not overpriced but also not as frugal as I usually am when it comes to breakfast fare.  I enjoyed the food and the company was literally divine. 

The place was the kind that featured free-range cage-free potatoes and non-political lemons.  Having lived in a city for twenty years that is on the vegan edge of this trend I have learned that there are places that truly engage with this philosophy of food and there are places that do it for the profitability.  It is important to some people to know the sourcing and production of their food.  It is important to others to talk about it.

In Sheetrock on the Road, I recount an incident where I was assailed by a vegan at a festival for Bratwurst.  I am sure that it left me somewhat scarred in the battle over broccoli, burgers, and brats.  What I do wish to say on this day that will see me eat as much corned-beef as I can manage is that God will never ask us why we ate meat.  He will never demand our explanation for allowing foreign sourced mangos in our salsa.  

The truth is that we need to pay more attention to our heart and attitude about food instead of battling over salad versus steak.  Even though I am light-hearted about the discussion between omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans, I care more about things that matter eternally.  We are obligated to be good to each other when it comes to food as well as everything else.

It troubles me to see someone leave half a plate of food uneaten at a restaurant when it could be taken and eaten later.  It hurts me to realize the amount of food we waste when so many are hungry.   God will never ask me why I had pulled pork barbeque for dinner.  He may ask me why I neglected someone else who told me he or she was hungry. 

The freedom we have in Christ is to eat almost anything we wish.  The obligation we have is to do so with gratitude for what we have, care for the needs of others, and to never be gluttonous.  We should try to be healthy.  We should celebrate with food when we can as it is part of God’s prescription for celebration.  We should always do what we can to feed the poor. 

Yesterday I had a good meal with a friend the centered around loving God and loving each other as fellow travelers.  The fact that I had bacon in my scramble will not come up when God and I talk about it.  The fact that two of his children expressed their love of him and each other in truth and harmony will come up and our Father will be smiling.  Let us have a good meal and discuss this further Dear Reader before we head down the road.  Oh, and as to the vegan young lady that threw her shoes at me.  I have already forgiven you and would love to buy you a salad.
 
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment