11 March 2019

Questions God Will Never Ask ~ Clothing Options


Greetings Dear Reader,

First, let us consider that I am not saying clothing is optional.  Please keep your clothes on and ponder instead what options there are.  In our society we place far too much emphasis on what people wear and when they wear it. 

Think for a moment about the many fashion choices there are for us.  We have different uniforms for work, recreation, leisure, and sleep.  Even in those categories, there are variables influenced and informed by trends, taste, and practicality.  A quick look around will tell us that our choices are varied and driven by culture.

None of this is wrong.  We are free to dress in any style that suits us.  Our choices may be limited by our available resources and the care we have for our appearance in certain situations.  It is in those choices that we express our style, preferences, and values.  Our fashion sense or lack of it is an extension of who we are as individuals. 

It also says who we are relative to stewardship, materialism, and morality.  I am not going to judge your clothing choices here.  I do wish to ponder an area where there is not a place to judge others.  God will never ask you why you did not wear a tie to church.  He will not chide you because you did not dress up for an occasion.  It is not our place to judge how others dress if God does not.

We should be more concerned about why we choose to wear what we choose when we choose it.  That is a lot of choosing.  What matters is our heart in choosing.  Am I being a good example to those around me?  Do I dress in ways that enhance my ability to express who I am without being prideful or self-serving?   Do I devote my heart to following Christ over following fashion?

You will never be required to answer to God for wearing shorts in winter or white after Labor Day.  What matters in your choices about what to wear is your heart toward the Father and your fellow humans.   If you spend more time picking out clothing than you do being good to others there may be a problem. 

Jesus’ brother James made it clear that we are not to judge others by what they wear.  We are instead to treat everyone as Christ would treat them.  What matters is that I am more attentive to what others need and if their clothing reflects needs that I can meet, that I do so.  God will never hold me to account for wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt to church unless I do so in a spirit that is unloving.  Were it up to me ties would not even exist.  What about you Dear Reader? 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment