02 June 2019

A Stone Too Heavy to Hold ~ Social Studies


Greetings Dear Reader,

I grew up in the South.  I was surrounded by racial and economic prejudice.  My Grandfather taught me over and over that both were wrong.  We still live in a world where people are judged by race and affluence. 

I submit that the stone of prejudice is far too heavy for anyone to carry.  I recently spoke with someone insisted that the lineage of Jesus possessed no one that was not of Hebrew descent.  She was twisting Scripture and making illogical arguments for the “purity” of Jesus’ lineage.  As we talked, I discovered that her agenda was prejudice against other Middle-Eastern cultures. 

The amount of effort required to justify an unjust position is astounding to me.  Through the centuries we can see how people have been willing to go down paths of “reason” to conclusions that are unreasonable.  The New Testament writers declared that grace and justice were to be equal to all humans.  Even the Law contained rules for treating foreigners with hospitality, justice, and love.   

Another stone that we cannot carry with integrity is the idea that if I disagree with someone on a social issue held by a social group that I am automatically prejudiced.  The difficulty with this is that it pre-judges my attitudes and beliefs based on my position on a single issue.  That is the very definition of prejudice.  

The third stone I would lay aside is the idea that just because I am conservative or liberal in my politics that I should be identified with the worst of that leaning.  That too is pre-judging someone based on making it common that all people are a certain way because they are liberal or conservative. 

Even though I was taught early on that I must not be prejudice about anything or anyone, it tries to creep in through the common practices of my community.  At times I must remind others that certain practices or points of view are prejudice.  I must also tread a very thin line between holding to my beliefs when they are unpopular and ensuring that I do not accept rhetoric that is unloving and unjust. 

Stones of prejudice are too heavy to hold and seem to grow subtly in our hands if we are not vigilant.  Even carrying them in our pack is too much burden for those following a God of love and justice.  If we are committed to grace and kindness, Dear Reader then there is no room for these stones in our lives.  We can drop them without compromising our faith.  In fact, dropping them enhances our faith.  How about we put them in a circle and build a fire to warm our hearts as we rest in the truth that everyone is worthy of our love and respect?  The journey to justice and love can be easier and is worth the trip.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment