06 June 2019

Second Thoughts ~ The Day Finally Mattered

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have seen so many mentions of D-Day today on the news and in social media.  One of my favorite thoughts said, “Their day at the beach made it possible for our days at the beach.”  I take time each year to think about the day and some of the connections I have to it.  Today matters to me for a much deeper reason.

Today my paternal Grandfather, the one who comes up so often in my writing would have turned 109 (you can read about him in Sheetrock on the Road).  This year also marks the fiftieth year since his reaching the clearing at the end of the path.  I miss him in some way almost every day. 

He once talked to me about his time in the service.  He said he could not discuss what he had done to serve because he had promised not to talk about when he left the service.  My Grandfather kept his promises. 

He did talk about D-Day.  It was his birthday and we were eating coconut cake and homemade peach ice-cream.  I told him happy birthday and he said, “It is D-Day and that is more important.  Those boys on that beach gave today real meaning.”  Then tears formed in his eyes and he continued, “I wish I could have been there with them.  By then I had another job to do.”

That was all he said about and he changed the subject by giving me another scoop of ice-cream made with Georgia Peaches frozen the previous season and cream from his North Georgia farm.  That was the last we ever talked about the war or had peach ice-cream together. 

There are many times throughout the last fifty years that I have wished my Grandfather could tell me what to do or guide me in a decision.  I long to see him, go fishing together, or just sit in the cool of the evening sipping sweet tea together.  I miss hearing him sing old gospel songs, preach with fire about love and grace, and speak kindly to everyone he met.

Today I think about the fact that I have more years behind me than ahead of and that I am at the same age he was when he passed.  My goals are still in place and I am working to live every minute to honor God and the things my Grandfather taught me about him. 

He used to say that he was sure I would outlive him.  He promised he would save me a seat at “the big dinner”.   He also knew I would find faith and follow Jesus.  I will introduce you when we catch up to him Dear Reader.  You will like him too.


For F.F.B. – Michael Card

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment