26 June 2019

Fire Watch with Me ~ Aliens


Greetings Dear Reader,

Some time ago I wrote about my thoughts on UFOs and Jesus.   We see in our science fiction the differing ways we might greet and treat sentient life.  They can also see from our news media how we treat aliens that cross imaginary borders.  They can see whether or not we will treat them with love, respect, and kindness.  They can observe what we do and the spirit in which we do it.

Let us suppose, however, that we are alone in the great cosmos.  Then our science fiction does not matter as much, but our newsreels do still inform on us.  They contradict the placard by our golden door.  They shade the flame of freedom we offer with our time-tarnished colossus. 

I do not know what the answer is.  I do know that those of us who claim to follow Christ are not doing enough to make the aliens and strangers in our land feel the warm light of his love in their lives.  We have politicized the needs of others to the point that we have wrung love, compassion, and care from it. 

We invite those who seek refuge to come to us but then we reject them when they do not fit into our expectations.  We cater to our needs and not theirs.  We sell compassion for practicality.  Love is lain aside for suspicions and fear.  We are supposed to treat everyone with love and respect.  That is what the only real Colossus demands. Read these words, Dear Reader and ask if we do enough to keep this flame bright.  Ask if we do all that we can to keep the promise true.

At the very worst, those who want to come to our country are enemies.  They mean us harm.  They hate us.  They have an agenda to destroy us.  If all this is true the Father and the Son are quite clear on how they should be treated.  “Love your enemies.”   There is no caveat, whither-to, or heretofore.  Every argument we form that does not include the very best of our love and care dims the light of her torch and dishonors the Father of us all.

As to the answer.  “Don’t ask me for answers, I’ve only got one.  A man leaves his darkness when he follows the Son.”  If we obey the command to love everyone the Father will make a way.  We must also remember that we are aliens and strangers here.   That, Dear Reader, is enough.

The New Colossus - Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Aliens and Strangers – DeGarmo and Key

Sunday morning, and the pews are filled with friends of mine, yeah, friends of mine,
And, for the first time, I look around,
I realize, I realize...

My closest friends are aliens and strangers,
Travelers here, living with danger,
My closest friends are aliens and strangers,
Travelers here, living with danger.

I used to wonder why they act so strange,
Now I know, yeah, now I know,
I heard the preachers say this world we're in is not our home, it's not our home.

My closest friends are aliens and strangers,
Travelers here, living with danger,
My closest friends are aliens and strangers,
Travelers here, living with danger.

They're all pilgrims just passing through, heroes away from their homeland,
And, since I've discovered the truth, I look at my friends and I can't help but think that...

All of my friends, they're aliens,
Just passing through, yeah, they're aliens,
My closest friends, yeah, they're aliens,
My closest friends, oh, they're aliens,
Just passing through, just passing through,
Just passing through, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

 Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment