13 June 2019

Trending Now ~ And Then…


Greetings Dear Reader,

Consider how long you spend on any one item in your social feed unless that item really catches your attention.  Consider the brevity of advertisements.  Even our articles and books have been broken down into smaller lengths and more digestible chunks.  It seems that we are all seeking something predigested instead of something hefty to chew on with our minds.

We seem to no longer give thought to things that are deep and long.  Our business, leisure, and social communication have become the traffic of short responses and clever quips instead of thorough analysis and thoughtful interaction.  The idea of careful discourse with reason and respect seems to be lost.

In the depth of who we long to understand and be understood.  We find great solace when we connect with others at a genuine level of communication.  It is the basis for enduring relationships. 

Earlier this week, I was pondering the relationship I have with my brother.  In over forty years of relationship and friendship, we have never had an argument or been at odds with each other.  I know he is the only human that I can honestly say this about.  We have disagreed but we have done so properly. 

We have conversations about important matters but we take the time to hear and see each other in an attitude of love and respect.  We give attention to the time and patience required to communicate well.  We defer to love and kindness over being right or making our point. 

We are all in need of expressing our hearts and minds.  As our attention takes on deficit, our circle of friends increasingly expect faster responses.  We scroll through conversations and interactions as if we will actually catch up with all the information coming at us.  We will not.  The idea is to filter out the things that do not matter and not grasp at things just because they are trending or speak to our pet causes.

I have been without commercial television for nine months now.  I am blissfully aware of the things of which I am unaware.  I have missed out on months of political, medical, and product ads that want to grab my attention long enough for me to vote, ask my physician, or act now to buy.  It is all the same; they want my money and support in the middle of me trying to watch something that I am paying to watch.  Those thirty-second spots are much more costly than I consider because they train me to digest things as they are given to me rather than chewing on them first.

I must take my time and evaluate what is sent my way.  I must filter what I take in.  I must further and better filter what I put out.  It does not matter that the trend is to be clever, quippy, and brief.  What matters, Dear Reader is that we communicate love and kindness.  Those are things worthy of long and focused attention.  This is where we should act now.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment