04 February 2021

On Prayer ~ ACTS

Greetings Dear Reader,

Before you send that email or post that comment, I realize that what I am about to present is very basic.  I did not create it nor am I saying it is profound.   It does, however, work.  It helps with what I do for my daily prayer.  If it works, it may be that we do not need for it to be flashy, complex, or new.

This practice in daily prayer was taught to me by someone I love dearly.  I will walk through it today and another device I use with it tomorrow.  Please understand that I am not saying that anyone has to do this.  I am saying that if we put our heart and mind into this method, it works.  That is all I seek in my prayer time is something that covers the whole lot.

The formula is called ACTS.   It is an acrostic for Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication.  What I like about it is that it moves from focusing on the Father and being in right relationship with him to being thankful for what we already have before we ask him for anything other than forgiveness.  Here then is how I work through this.

Adoration:
Adoration or worship is simply acknowledging who the Father is.  It is engaging our heart and mind is seeing the love and majesty of God in every way he presents himself.  Without this, I cannot truly do the other three steps of this method.  If there were no love and mercy, grace and kindness in the Father, I could not even begin to be heard by him.  Still, he arranges that through the blood of Christ and the intercession of the Holy Spirit we can be heard.  That alone is enough for me to take time to lovingly adore Him. 

Confession:
We are all crooked sticks.  We all sin and I know that word is unpopular but it is true.  The first command, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength,” is one we violate.  That is enough.  We must confess what we have done that is not loving toward the Father.  It is putting ourselves in alignment with the will of the Father in all things.  It is quite easy for my mind to find the things where I part from loving the Father, following the Son, and hearing the Spirit.  I must put those things in perspective and make them right before I dare ask for anything.  Asking for forgiveness before I ask for anything else is a priority. 

Thanksgiving:
There is always something for which I can be grateful.   Each morning that I have life is reason enough to express gratitude to the Father.  Each person in my life that does the smallest kindness for me is someone for whom to have gratitude.  Anything that I have is a gift from the Father.  But wait, there is more.  The Father wants us to be thankful for the trials in our life as well.  We are supposed to find joy in them.  We must find peace in our pain by seeking to be thankful for what we do have.  It does not take long for an honest heart to find great gratitude. 

Supplication:
It is not wrong for us to ask the Father for things.  We must, however, do so in the right relation to him.  This is why supplication is last.  I will write at length tomorrow about supplication and how I approach it.  You may ask the Father for anything that aligns with loving him with all that you are. 

Please enjoy this song.  It is one of the ones I play in the background during the first part of my prayer time each day.  I am asking the Father that we all learn to pray in ways that honor him and restore our souls.  I love you, Dear Reader. 

How Deep the Father’s Love for Us – Stewart Townend 

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the man upon a cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

It does not take long for an honest heart to find great gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment