11 February 2021

Small Gods ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader, 

In the Avengers movie, the Hulk grabs Loki and slaps him around like a rag doll before tossing him off of a building.   As he does this last, the Hulk says, “Puny god.”  I would submit that one claiming to be a god that can be thusly treated against his will is not a god at all. 


As the idea of focusing on Christ alone in my journey solidifies, I see that there are many things that fade from view in my mind.  Their importance lessens.  The priority I assign to things that once mattered greatly diminishes.

 Some of these things become our small gods.  We obsess over them and make them our priority.  We lay aside eternal things in search of satisfaction from things that we know will not slake our thirst.  We bargain away what we know for the false hope of filling the empty spaces we carry inside us.

 I know what most of those struggles are for me.  I need to be aware of them clearly and straightaway have a plan for managing them.  There is a simple plan for dealing with my own small gods.  That plan would be to involve myself so deeply with the Father’s things that I do not have time for other things.  That is a solid bit of thinking.  It would be foolish, however, to ignore the things that call me to be other than I am meant to be as a Christ-follower.

What I intend to do is consider things that draw me away from faithful following.  What sirens call me to the rocks that make the journey harder?  Examining them and how I am enticed by them can lead to an understanding of how to avoid them.  Even though my attention must be fixed on following Christ, my peripheral must note the small gods that ask me to look to them for fulfillment.

You are welcome to walk with me as I attempt to identify and topple the small gods which I have erected that hinder my journey.  Together we may find things that help you along the way as well.  As always, Dear Reader, I ask you to share with me your thoughts and questions.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

There are small gods we worship and they distract us from our journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment