21 February 2021

Running from Truth ~ Bungee Running

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I posted my opening thoughts on this, my friend Bill responded with, “Get ready to be swallowed by a metaphorical fish.”  First, I would say that any fish I consider in this discussion would not be metaphorical.  I believe that Jonah fled because of the truth and we will get to him in a couple of days.


Running from the truth takes on many forms and some of them involve abandoning what we know to be true.  This morning I am pondering those who are running from the truth because they do not wish to embrace the implications of that truth.  I have a friend who has abandoned following Christ because of a truth he will not live.  He knows that if he is to follow Christ he has to forgive and love some people that he has rejected.  

This type of running, I call Bungee running.  Those who engage in it still believe.  They reject belief on the outside but what they really do is run from truth that they do not wish to accept.  It is like the event where you strap into a Bungee harness and run away from the anchor.  Eventually, we run out of strength or slack. Then the potential energy of the Bungee takes over and we are snapped back.

I have done this with truth and the snapback is painful.  We are ripped back to where we are supposed to be and usually very tired when we get there.  The secret of this game is not to play.  We can run but we will fail.  The truth will demand we return to it.  We can, perhaps, spend our lives running from the truth but we will only die tired.  If we have a truth we wish to avoid, it is wiser to embrace it and obey it.

For Christ-followers, this means love, forgiveness, mercy, grace, and peace.  It requires that I embrace the truth of loving the Father in all that I do.  It demands that I leave offenses behind and not take up new ones because of that love.  It insists that I live in peace with all men as much as possible.  Bungee running will not work because we cannot do that and follow Christ.  

I have to keep short accounts with truths from which I would run.  I especially need to refrain from running from truths that I believe in but do not wish to live.  That translates to disobedience.  It transfers to using my life for the wrong things, Dear Reader.   I have given my life to Christ.  If I do anything that is not pursuing that commitment, I am Bungee running.  The snap will come and it will not be pleasant.  I find it, therefore, best not to run. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

You can run but you will only die tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment