02 February 2021

On Prayer ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

A confluence of recent events have caused me to think more deeply about prayer.  I am going to ponder prayer for a few days.  I am hoping to review and reinforce some very practical things about prayer.  I know that it is vital to my journey and I think that at times I make it more complex than it needs to be.


I was talking with my dear friend, Tina, who asked me to write about prayer.  I am honored that she thinks I could.  Remember that my writing is intended to enrich my journey so that I follow Christ more closely.  The entire effort is shared with you so that I may be accountable for my journey and so that perhaps you can gather a hint or two to help you along your journey.

I am not going to try to define prayer other than this; we are meant to be in constant conversation with God.  Whether it is in formal interaction with the Father, sharing our thoughts with Jesus about his place leading us in our journey, or seeking the wisdom and humble guidance of the Holy Spirit, we are to live, move, and have our being in God.

The entire idea of prayer is simpler than we make it.  It should be as natural and common as talking to a father who loves us.  It should be as easy as speaking to anyone with whom we travel.  The daily in and out should be as natural as listening to the gentle guidance that we all need.  When the Father calls us his own it is so that he can enjoy spending time with us.

What I will do is ponder the things I employ that I call prayer.  I will speak of the formal and the casual.  This may also be an outline to one of my Thoughts and Questions books.  I have at least two more in the hopper ahead of this so we will see what unfolds.  For now, if you want to know my thoughts and questions on prayer you may always come back to this.  

As we begin our time in this, I would share a prayer with you that I pray often.  Along the way, we will visit some prayers written by others that convey my heart and aid my journey.  Below you will find an offering from Kemper Crabb’s The Vigil.  When I used to listen to my music on cassette tapes, I wore out two of them.  The entire album is worth having and listening to often.   This song is one I pray at least once per week during my morning prayer time. 

The idea of prayer becomes dearer to me as each year passes.  Please, Dear Reader, walk with me through this as I attempt to dive deeper and find more precious treasure in talking to God and listening to his answers.  As always, your thoughts and questions are welcome.  I love you and find great joy in journeying with you.


The Vigil – Kemper Crabb

Waiting for flame in eye of night, I am the fuel for your fire
Light calls ever unto light. Make me a fleshen pyre.
Touch my lips with the altering coal; leave your shining upon my soul.
Zion shall ever be my goal; Zion the telling of light.

Scanning the silence with inward ears; life is a listening.
Enfolded in echoes of timeless years; the Word comes whistling.
Build my being from your throat; meld my meaning with every note.
Wrap me round in an aural cloak, so I may truly hear.

Drawn towards destinies darkling kite, riven by reality
Riding the passion to terrible height, life upon death’s tree
Cause me to drink from the chalice of fire. Forge me anew in the heat of desire
Let me inhabit the holy empire and make war on the armies of night.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

I think we pray more often than we realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment