19 February 2021

Small Gods ~ Closing Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

As we close our discussion on small gods, I would ask that you watch your toes.  I may tread on them a bit and I mean you no harm.  I suppose that my Grandfather would say I am about to quit preaching and go to meddling. 


You see, l think that the most powerful small gods are little everyday things that we do not even consider.  How often have we justified being ill-mannered to someone because we “have not had our coffee yet”?  What about the fuss we make over our seats at home or at church?  I actually heard someone this past Sunday say that she had moved the belongings of someone else so that she could have “her seat”.

We are willing to be unkind to others or justify our unkindness for convenience or preference.   What we are supposed to do is prefer others over ourselves.  Love and kindness are supposed to trump our wants.  Instead, we litter the world with our small gods of selfishness and self-importance. 

I do not have to look far to see the altars to small gods that I have erected in my life.  If my preferences make someone else uncomfortable or they feel displaced, I must consider if I am following Christ or worshiping a small god.  It is my duty to set aside a personal preference for love and kindness to others.

Burning down the small gods in our lives is the only way to be free of them.  They will try to resurrect themselves but they only have the power that we give them, Dear Reader.  The Father will abide no other gods in his presence.  We cannot, therefore, hold onto our small gods and love the Father as we should.

As a final consideration, I ponder this:  If the Father is going to provide for all that I need, then there is no sense in seeking what I want or need anywhere else.  The Father is asking us to be all in.  He wishes for us to follow his Son, love his humans, and humbly prefer others with that love.  Our small gods will get in the way of this, Dear Reader.  If we lay them aside, the journey will prove much easier.  We have a long way to go and there is too much potential to carry anything that would hinder us.

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

Small gods are the things we worship but have no power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment