02 February 2021

Second Thoughts ~ She Hit Me with Her Bumbershoot

Greetings Dear Reader,

Before I reveal myself to be a total boor, I would lay out a few things that others do not know about me.  First, and germane to our consideration of what passes is that I am allergic to the planet.  Every season there is an allergen of some kind stalking me.   Second, I am not an anti-masker.  I carry a mask and always wear one where it is required. 


Sometimes, however, my allergies and my need to be somewhere combine to make it necessary for me to go without a mask.  I only go to places then where it is not required to wear one.  This was the case last Saturday.  I needed to collect something from a local store to help a friend.  My allergies were in full rebellion against normal breathing.  I went to the store and took great care to keep my distance from everyone. 

Rather than my usual wander through this store, I went straight to the aisle that had what I needed.  As I was pondering my purchase, I felt a stiff wrap on my wrist.  It hurt.  It was followed by the voice of a woman that spoke as I turned, “You should be wearing a mask.”  She rapped me again, this time on the forearm.  Several things went through my mind and most of them were unkind.

I think that woman must have been in her eighties but she was neither frail nor timid.  As she raised her Bumbershoot for a third go at me, I stood ready to catch it and stop the blow.  That voice in my head that I wish to always obey said, “Do not resist your enemy.”  I relaxed my hand and stood up straight. 

Smiling, I asked in a soft friendly voice, “Do you realize that you are less than three feet from me?  Is that proper social distancing?”  Consternation crawled across her face.  It also halted her progress.  She let out a “humph” and turned away exiting the aisle in which I stood.  I chose my purchase and went to the register, paid the price, and left.

I checked on the way out to be sure that masks were not required.  Having steeped myself in the gratified assurance that I was in the right, I made my way to my car.  I was not yet done paying.  As I climbed into the driver’s seat the arrogance and disrespect of my action settled on me.  I had to take time to pray, to seek forgiveness for my attitude, and not seeing the fear in that woman through the eyes of love.

It is vital that I learn that being unoffended may require that I take judgment from an elderly woman or even a hit or two from a Bumbershoot.  It is worth it if I can find a way to show her the love of Christ.  Even when I am right, I must be right with a humble and peaceful heart.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook
Twitter        
Medium
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

Even when I am right, I can be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment