27 February 2021

Running from Truth ~ Chicken Leg Theology

Greetings Dear Reader, 

My Grandfather tells a story about a church split that occurred during dinner on the grounds.  The congregation had an ongoing discussion concerning predestination as it relates to redemption.  Two of the deacons were severely divided on this matter. 

They were sitting next to each other at a church dinner.  The one deacon picked up a fried chicken leg.  He pronounced, “It was predestined before the foundation of the world that on this day, at this time, I would eat this scrumptious chicken.  The deacon sitting next to him who did not believe in predestination said, “It ain’t so,”  grabbed the chicken leg, and ate it.  The ensuing argument divided the church forever.  

This story is both funny and sad.  My aim is not to trod on anyone’s toes but I am also going to risk it.  As I draw to the end of this series of thoughts and questions, I turn my eyes on those who believe as I do where it matters.  In this, I must also examine my own heart and mind.  

There is truth from which we run that gets far too little attention.  If we merely look at the number of denominations in our world, we can mark places where Christ-followers have divided over faith and practice to the degree that they cut off fellowship with each other.  I submit that we can run from the truth by embracing what we believe to be true and allowing it to supersede what the Father has taught us.  

Maybe you are milder.  Perhaps you simply express your theology by poking fun at those you believe to be wrong.  Maybe we quietly look down on those who do not get it.  We think that we are better than them though we would never say it.  If we claim to know who the Father is and to follow his Son, we must first embrace those truths that Jesus tells us are our prime directive. 

I am running from the truth if my personal theology neglects two things.  The first is that my theology must place as my prime pursuit to love the Father with all that I am in all that I do.  I cannot do anything theologically correct if this is not at the core of it.  Second, I must love every other human, full stop.  If I believe, employ, or discuss God without this foundation, I am running from the truth and chasing a lie. 

I see posts often poking fun at those with differing beliefs.  I submit that tagging on a “but I love you” is not enough.  There is no place in our journey back to the Father for me to belittle anyone even in jest.  It is unloving and can be offensive.  I need to live in two very clear thoughts.  If someone believes the essentials of what I believe, I must love them as a fellow follower  If they do not, I must love them as someone who needs to become a fellow follower.  I cannot hope to communicate the love of Christ and the grace of the Father if I am poking them with my theological stick.  When I replace showing the love of God in every situation with standing on a theological soapbox, I am clearly running from the truth, Dear Reader.  There is no life and light in this.  There is not peace.  In truth, this thinking has caused wars. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

If you do not have a clear understanding of the impeccable nature of the hypostatic union, we have nothing to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment