14 February 2021

Small Gods ~ Love

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize it may seem strange at first that because I emphasize love so much that I might consider it a small god.  The distinction is there is love the proceeds from our love of God and there is love that we share for our own purposes.  There is a third aspect that I will get to in a moment.


I have spoken often of love that transacts between humans and the Father.  That love is the only love that can produce genuine selfless love between us.  If this sounds arrogant or exclusive, read some of my previous writing on it.  That is not this author’s intent.

The love that we produce outside of reflecting the Father’s love can never be pure.  We do not possess the divine nature necessary to make it so.  There will always be the fallen self that asserts its desire to have rather than the desire to give.  I would not deny anyone anything based on this.  It is simply that our fallen nature cannot seek divine good.  Love becomes a thing that we work to produce based on feelings and that is not sustainable.

The other thing that permeates the small god love is that it carries expectations.  We do not go all in.  We do not love for the sake of loving.  We love as an exchange of expectations.  Our vows become conditional.  Our promises become mutable based on the other person’s meeting our expectations.  Any love that is not Christ-centered has its breaking point. 

I would also consider that third type of love I mentioned.   The love to which I refer is a love of self.  We see so many calls to love ourselves first.  That is not how it ever works.  I must see my value and see that God loves me but self-love is not a product of humility.  We are told to look out for our own needs.  That is also not how it works.

The small god love can be manipulative, demanding, and possessive.  It can be withheld and measured out conditionally.  Small god love can be used to bend or harm others.  It only seeks itself even when claiming to serve others.

The Father will care for us and our needs if we seek first to return the love, he gives us freely.  We can find the power to love others selflessly but only through the power of the Spirit working through us.  I spent a great deal of time trying to worship the small god love.  Only when I yield everything to the love of the Father and helping others see him can I love truly.  Removing expectations and rejecting pleasing myself is the result of truly loving with the love of the Father.  We may be celebrating love today but I fear that many of us are celebrating a small god and not the love that the Father desires for all of us, Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

I fear that many of us are celebrating a small god and not the love of the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment