15 February 2021

Small Gods ~ I Ate the Whole Thing

Greetings Dear Reader,

There was a time when I would eat a whole pizza in one sitting.  I climbed my way up in weight to a dangerous level.  Food was a small god to me and I was not small.  It took several years and daily discipline to reduce my size.


I know the reasons why food was one of my small gods.  Some of it was a trauma response and some was simply a matter of greed.  It was part of my obsession to control things and in some ways keep the false feeling that I was satisfied.  I was quite disorderly in my eating but could not honestly relegate it all to an eating disorder.

Since I have been involuntarily in the seclusion of a pandemic, this god repeatedly asks to move back into my life.  I still want to eat it all when I should not.  I mentioned the other day to the pastor of the church I attend, that we rarely hear sermons on gluttony.  Still, it is a small god that we worship and we even invite it to our church activities.

The commandment to have no other gods in the presence of the Father is pertinent here.  When we bring our small god with us in form or worshiping food, we do so even at church events.  We fail to acknowledge it but we still worship it freely.

It takes daily understanding of what it means to allow the Father to provide our daily bread to keep this small god from asserting itself.  It is not my place to chide others about their eating habits but I must not allow this puny god a place in my life.  I cannot worship any small god and be faithful to the Father.  This one, if allowed in my life can kill me.

We obsess over food.  It is a necessity that we have turned into a god in order to please our own desires.  We produce enough food to feed the world but we make it a commodity that denies some and benefits others.  As small gods go, this one is given far too much power by us.  We must take stock and choose to love the Father over this demanding hunger that is not one for sustenance but for satisfaction.

Eating is necessary for survival. Worshiping food and dining is a luxury that no one can afford.  If we focus on the needs of others as we should, we will care more about feeding those in need than obsessing over our own food.  It is an easier way to navigate the world and the journey home.

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

 

How many burgers will fit on one bun?

No comments:

Post a Comment