07 February 2021

On Prayer ~ A Strategy of Silence

Greetings Dear Reader, 

I have mentioned silence often over the years.  Incorporating it into my daily prayer time has been rewarding.  I think that we often do not understand the value of silence and listening.  It seems that we think prayer is mostly talking. 


If, however, we take time to be silent, there is good to be had there.  When I first began this latest part of my journey, I could pray easily for others but could not express myself to the Father.  Someone advised me to simply sit with the Father and ask him to Father me.  I did and he does. 

What has evolved from that is a valued time of silence that enhances my listening throughout the day.  The Father speaks when we really listen.  The noise of the world often drowns out what he is saying.  I feel that this is part of the humility of God, that he does not force himself on us. 

The silence was always daunting for me at first.  Alone and in silence was painful most of my life.   That has changed now and listening is as important to me as the rest of my life.  I no longer feel fear or pain in the silence.  I treasure it. 

I suppose I should relate something practical about this.  First, I find it easier to be silent in the dark.  This is reasonably not for everyone.  Still, it is worth trying.  The other thing is to put away the things that will distract one from listening.  If conversations try to cloud our minds, that is where proscribed prayer is helpful.  Begin the Lord’s Prayer or the Prayer of Saint Francis silently and if you trail off into silence in your mind, that is good. 

Another practical aspect of this is to repeat in your mind what you hear in the silence.  It is also good to respond to what you feel honestly.  Remember that these thoughts and feelings must not rule us but in them, we can find the Father if we listen.  No feeling is wrong here.  Anger, fear, and pain may arise within us.  Old memories may try to shout through the silence.  It is moving through them to keep listening that is vital.  

If this seems daunting, start with just five minutes.  Let it be five minutes of silent listening and not pondering or questioning.  The strategy of silence works, Dear Reader.  It can become dear and precious.  As we journey, if we are together, we can practice it if you wish.  You will find that it is much harder when we are not alone.  I am praying for you and hope that you can find the song within the silence that leads us home. 

Will You Not Listen – Michael Card 

Is not He who formed the ear
Worth the time it takes to hear?
Should He who formed our lips for speaking
Be not heeded when He speaks?

Will you not listen?
Why won't you listen?
God has spoken love to us
Why will you not listen?

Listen to the sacred silence
Listen to the Holy Word
Listen as He speaks through living
Parables that must be heard

Will you not listen?
Why won't you listen?
God has spoken peace to us
Why will you not listen?

He spoke a word of flesh and blood
Flesh and blood that bled and died
Bled and died just to be heard
How could you not hear this Word?

Why will you not hear this Word?
Will you not listen?
Why won't you listen?
God has spoken hope to us

How could you not listen?
Why will you not listen?
How could you not listen?

 Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

“Scanning the silence with inward ears; life is a listening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment