09 February 2021

On Prayer ~ Constant Conversation

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have alluded to this previously but I am going to put a finer point on it as we near the close of our thoughts and questions on prayer. Throughout the Old and New Testaments, we get the idea that the words that pass between the Father and us matter greatly.  Nature, creation, and the written word speak constantly to us of the Father and his glory. 


The way in which we speak to the Father is prayer.  I think that we have over-formalized something that is meant to be a conversation between a Father and his young child.  If we picture how children talk to us, we can see that it involves everything until we mistakenly teach them not to do so.  They prattle along honestly talking to us about everything that occurs to them.  We are the ones who foolishly train them to hide what they wish to say because it is inconvenient for us. 

The Father wishes constant conversation with us.  He wants to hear every concern, need, and desire in our hearts.  Most of the time when I am alone, I interact with the Father quite informally.  I try to be in a running dialog of gratitude, hope, and wonder.  I think it is the latter that I enjoy the most.  Whether it is a sunrise, a mountain, or a sweet interaction with another human, I try to see the wonder in what the Father does to guide us home.  I think that this is part of what is meant by, “You will find me when you seek me with all of your heart.” 

The finding is not some great discovery.  It is realizing that every good thing we encounter is a glimpse of the Father showing us his love.  Every time we are delighted by a good thing, we are seeing the Father.  Looking for those delights is seeking him.  Interacting with him about it is what becomes a constant conversation with the Father.  An example would be this:

I am standing in line at the Post Office.  The line is easily nine people ahead of me.  I have a piece of mail to return that was mistakenly put in my PO Box.  I tell the Father that I will not worry about the wait and talk to him about my gratitude for the workers in the small post office.  Immediately, a clerk comes out and asks, “Anyone just dropping off something?”  I hold up my single letter that is not mine.  He motions me over and takes it.  All the way back to my car I express my gratitude for not having to wait.

When we build a habit of doing that, we enter an attitude of practicing the presence of God in every moment.  This is how we find and follow Christ.  This is the way in which we learn that he is always there; the Father to care, Jesus to lead, and the Spirit to comfort and guide.  There is nothing we do that we cannot make conversation with God a part of it.  If we feel that we cannot then we must question if it is something we should do. 

The entire journey home is meant to be you, God, and I walking together to that place where we will always show our love for each other.  Learning to be in constant conversation will help us get there in a peaceful way.  If we are going to pray, we have to work toward it being a constant part of our conversation.  In this, Dear Reader, we will find a deeper love for and connection with the Father.  That is a beautiful way to travel.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

We can learn to talk to God like a three-year-old telling us about his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment