29 August 2021

The Chosen ~ Between the Seasons

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 


Before we dive into season two, I want to indulge in a couple of analytical items I believe will help my spiritual journey.  Since the point of all of this is personal application, I feel the indulgences will be of benefit to me.  Perhaps they will do so for you as well, Dear Reader. 

Today, I wish to ponder some of the secondary characters.  They play a vital role in establishing the genuine feeling the show carries.  They also give Jesus space to show how he is distinct from his own people.  There are no cardboard cutouts in The Chosen.  Each character represents someone for me to understand and attempt to love as Jesus loves them. 

First, I would consider the Romans.  Unless one looks carefully at the Gospels, Roman soldiers are unidimensional.  In the Gospels and in this show, the Romans are real people with varying degrees of evil, malice, and faith.  We can feely Quintas’ malevolence and Gaius’ curiosity.  The Urbanus may be on the path to faith.  If we read the Gospels paying attention to the Romans, one finds the same degree of differences. 

The Pharisees are a further consideration.  They range from hating Jesus simply because he dares to usurp their authority to embracing faith with a level of timidity firmly in place.  Joseph is subtle in his support and I long to see how it develops.  Nicodemus seeks Jesus privately for “fear of the Jews.”   We see the same in the Bible.  There were Pharisees, Sadducees, and Essen who believed. 

In my novels already published, I seek to make these “secondary characters” obtain center stage for a moment.  In  The Foster Father of God, Magi: The Gift Bearers, and The Praetor it is through these characters, I attempt to see the hand of God working at redemption.  Christ is always central even in the stories of those who interact with him briefly. 

The application here is clear to me.  Every story I write and all I tales enjoy have a note of redemption in them.  The Chosen does this as well.  It tells us to look beyond what we have seen and understand Jesus is trying to draw all of us to himself.  I must see every human story as one designed for me to observe the love of the Father and the opportunity to love him in return.  We are all called to see how he works to redeem us no matter who we are. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

The hand of God moves in every moment to show his love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment