20 August 2021

The Chosen ~ The Shepherd (Pilot)

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 

You may have seen the entire two seasons and still not seen the pilot program, The Shepherd.  It aired around Christmas in 2019.  From the beginning, it is obvious this will not be a normal, King James quoting retelling of the Gospel.  The Shepherd has an injured foot requiring the use of a crutch.  It is clear we are near Bethlehem.  He is taking a lamb to the synagogue for an offering.  The other shepherds move slowly to stay with him but it is obvious they are not happy about it. 

Without mentioning it, the opening portrays his loneliness and sadness.   The Pharisee inspecting the lamb is rude, harsh, and unloving.  He threatens the shepherds with banishment from the market if our injured shepherd does not return with a spotless lamb.  Our shepherd journeys back and encounters a man and woman who are thirsty.  Yes, it is Joseph and Mary.  He gives them water. 

Later, he is visited in the field by the angels and goes to see the newborn Jesus.  He comes across the Pharisee who demands, “Did I not tell you to find a spotless lamb?”  The Shepherd’s eyes widen and the episode ends. 

I love Christmas and it is for this reason I do.  The Spotless Lamb of God loves me even in my dirty wounded state.  He asks me to come to him.  He tells me even giving out cool water in his name is great service.  He promises my maladies will one day be gone.  Unlike the Pharisee, he accepts me as I am and welcomes me.  

It all sounds so puerile and simple because it is innocent and basic.  It is the God of All Creation reaching out to be with me in ways shaking me to my core.  It is the Father asking us to love him by loving and following his Son.  It is the chance to see our spots and blemishes as things to be wiped away by his love and sacrifice.  

As we begin the journey of The Chosen, we are told clearly how much the Father is willing to do to shepherd his least acceptable sheep.  He loves you, Dear Reader.  He loves us all and will not chase us away because of the dirt and the damage. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

A limping shepherd and a chance to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment