30 August 2021

The Chosen ~ Rewatching with Intent

Greetings Dear Reader, 

There will be spoilers.  This is your only warning.  This BLOG series will walk through each episode of the first two seasons of the amazing show The Chosen; available free to watch at the link.  If you have not seen it, I encourage you to do so.  It is by far the best adaptation of the Gospels to film I have ever encountered. 

Since many of you have commented on watching The Chosen multiple times, I wanted to share some of the ways I have used to rewatch the series for the most benefit.  The story carries itself as will any honest telling of the Gospel.  I think the impact of this is due to its efforts to stay true to the Gospels whilst filling in the things we would know if we were there.  As a writer of historical fiction, this is my goal as well. 

Here are some things I have done to enhance my ability to take something away from the series each time I watch it.  I hope you can glean some methods amenable to your own journey.  It is not my idea to claim this show as on equal footing with actually reading the Gospels.  As I watch, I find I am driven back to the writings of the Bible to be certain I grasp the actual story as deeply as possible. These methods have helped me pay closer attention to what is happening in the life of Jesus. 

The first time one watches The Chosen, one should take in the story.  Jesus wants us all to find him and see him as he is.  It is accomplished in this series in a way unique to everything I have ever seen on television or in film. 

Then, there are ways to walk through the show again able to help us catch more of the character and intent of the Gospels.  My second time through I paid attention to everything through the perspective of Jesus watching his followers.  It helped me see my flaws in following and bolstered my determination not to judge others. 

The third time I binged the entire show in a day but did so with my eyes closed.  I paid close attention to the words being used.  I listened to the many phrases I missed the first two times.  I heard the compassion and humor in Jesus.  I found the love and patience in him I need to have for others.  I am sure I will repeat this method. 

One time through, I focused on the backgrounds and secondary characters.  There are things to catch there I will not spoil.  Here is one clue, Dear Reader.  In the background of one scene, there is the Hebrew letter Pe in the Sofit form.  This is very rare in the Hebrew language.  It is there, however, and not by accident.  

I spoke at length yesterday about secondary characters as a way to watch as well.  I am currently watching and taking notes on a single character.  Each of them has something to say.  You get the point.  There are so many facets to understanding Jesus any honest story will contain layers of depth to teach us of him.  Some of them may even be unintended and merely exist because Jesus is there.  

It is the way of Christ to permeate all things focused on him.  He invades the places where he is welcome.  He enhances them making the whole greater than the sum of its parts.  This is one of the reasons I watch.  It is also why I write, Dear Reader.  Please tell me what you see. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“Come and see,” then tell me what you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment