27 May 2017

In Memoria ~ Days at the Beach

Greetings Dear Reader,

Many of us see Memorial Day weekend as the unofficial start of summer.  Thousands of families travel to beaches and soak up the sun.  They get in water, surf on it, and fish from it. 

This evening as the colours are lowered and taps sounds I think of another beach.   We have our days at the beach because of days at the beach like that one.  Thousands went to the beach that day too.  They went in battle dress.  They ran into gunfire.  They took heavy casualties.  They won.

They paid for the party with dear blood.  Some of the young men there did not even get off their landing craft.  They died on the shores of France so that I could be free to go to the beach for my Memorial Day weekend. 

Days at the beach should be times of family and fun.  There should, however, always be a moment of solemnity.  There should always be a moment when I recall those men who died on a beach in France so that I could enjoy the sand beneath my feet and the salt air.  They did it so that I could breathe free. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment