15 May 2017

Second Thoughts – A Bold Adventure

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I always try to reflect on good things in my life on Mother’s Day that are there because of my mother.  Of significance is a gamble she took when I was six that has influenced my entire life.  It seemed a simple thing for a long time.  Then as I grew older and understood my Mother’s preferences in life, it was clear that she was trying to invest in me.

It was September of 1966.  We were living in Atlanta and barely getting by.  We had a twelve in black and white TV with foil on the antenna.  I was the remote control.  I had been told to go to bed an hour early and reluctantly obeyed.

Later, just before ten in the night I was awakened by my mom.  The house of warm popcorn and I was led to the living room.  Mom told me to have a seat on the scratchy orange herculon couch.  What unfolded was the first episode of a new TV series, Star Trek.  The episode was The Man Trap.

We ate popcorn.  We talked about what was happening on the show.  She made sure it was not scaring me.  As the final series credits rolled she explained that we would do this each week if I went to be early without complaint. 

That experiment in investing in a boy yielded a lifelong love of Star Trek, adventure, and the possible.  As a fatherless boy Captain Kirk was second only to my Grandfather in my admiration of male figures.  The series ended just about same time that my Grandfather reached the clearing at the end of the path. 

Great darkness followed but Star Trek reruns were one of the things that sustained me through that darkness until I discovered the hope that is in Christ.  The two things, Star Trek and the Great Adventure are so intertwined for me that I often ask the Father for a star ship to explore his undiscovered country.  Thanks mom. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment