04 May 2017

Father Hearts and Father Wounds ~ Gaining Too Late

Greetings Dear Reader,

Over the last few months I have been having regular conversations with the man whose name I carry.  In the last few years he has found faith and a heart to connect with his children and grandchildren.

At first I was hesitant.  The wounds are so deep from the failures of fathers in my past that I was wary of the probability of taking more damage.  I, however, have the obligation to love and forgive.  When I see that someone is trying to do better I must encourage them. 

The conversations have been painful at times but they have been also very good.  I see a tenderness there that I never saw.  I see an honesty about fallenness and the struggle to follow Christ that I share.  His motivation is not guilt or shame.  In it I see love and repentance.  I see a man who wants to be good to us with what ability he has.

The lesson there is twofold for me.   The first is that I must be very sure that I am forgiving and loving to anyone who shows that they understand the depth of his or her sin.  I must look past my own pain to the fact that neither of us has failed to fail.  I must allow Christ to rule my heart so that it is always tuned to the love and fogginess of the Father.

Second, I must always be aware that it is never too late to do what is right.  It is never too late to gain a father’s heart.  Like the Tin Man the Father can create a new heart in us if we allow it.  He can teach us all to love as he does.  He can soften us and make us kind.  All he is waiting for is our admission that we need a little oil and a new heart.

My Eyes are Dry – Keith Green

My eyes are dry, my faith is old,
My heart is hard, my prayers are cold,
And I know how I ought to be,
Alive to you, and dead to me.
Oh, what can be done, for an old heart like mine,
Softer it up, with oil and wine.
The oil is You, Your Spirit of love,
Please wash me anew, in the wine of Your blood.
My eyes are dry, my faith is old,
My heart is hard, my prayers are cold,
And I know how I ought to be,
Alive to you, and dead to me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment