26 May 2017

In Memoria ~ A Six Year Old’s Viewpoint

Greetings Dear Reader,

On Thursday evenings I have the pleasure and privilege of having dinner with my eldest Son and my two Grandsons.   This is almost always the highlight of my week.  It amazes me how much the boys grow from week to week.  Time with my Son is precious to me as well and there is never enough of it.

This past Thursday after dinner the discussion turned to Brat Fest which is always a part of my Memorial Day weekend.  We planned in part what we wanted to do and when we wanted to go to the world’s largest brat festival.  The Grandson’s wanted to talk about rides and the eldest Grandson was talking about Ferries Wheels.  I asked him if he knew what Memorial Day was for.  His answer was profound for a six-year-old.

In a roundabout way he explained that we remember the people who died so that we could have a great country.  He said we had to remember to keep our country good so that their deaths would not be wasted.  I was astounded at his depth of understanding.  I was proud of him for caring about something so profound.

I am also saddened.  It may be that a brat and carnival ride focused little boy will give more thought to the purpose of this holiday than many adults.  As I eat a warmed up brat in the safety of my home tonight I pause to feel and express gratitude to the Father that he has let me live in a land where freedom reigns.  I also ask him to heal our land of its lack of love, purpose, and unity.

It is in this freedom, paid for by the blood of our forefathers, that we find the right to do as we please.  I need to make sure that it pleases me to show gratitude and respect to those who have died to keep that freedom alive.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment