31 May 2017

Penny and Pound ~ Intolerant Inclusion

Greetings Dear Reader,

It seems that both the right and the left have a blind spot that I am not sure how to heal.   They both seem to demand that if I side with their side on anything that I must side with their side on everything.  When I offer a penny, each side demands a pound.

Some of these arguments for consistency are logical.  I cannot want equality in an area without wanting it for all humans.  I cannot speak of the value of life without speaking to the value of every life.  Where the demand for pounds over pennies confounds me is in the assumption of cross-pollination of values.  

My faith does not allow me to accept every position of either side.  I cannot claim to follow Christ and accept hatred of any kind.   I cannot promote violence and follow the Prince of Peace.   I cannot worship the Father and allow the slaughter of children. 

It is my experience, however, that both sides demand that I follow in the extreme no matter how illogical the position becomes.  To bolster this untenable dichotomy false syllogisms are created.  It is assumed that because I disagree on a point that I disagree on all points.   In the inverse if I support either side’s position on a single point it is assumed that I support it on all points. 

I can oppose the murder of the unborn without feeling that women should have less rights than men.  I can believe that all people should have access to quality affordable healthcare without being a communist. 

What I must do is follow Christ no matter who it offends.  As with so many things the demands of both sides make no room for the things that are reasonable.  The truth is often somewhere in the middle.  I must seek Christ and the truth no matter what the cost; penny or pound.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment