01 May 2017

Father Hearts and Father Wounds ~ Father Wounds Round Two

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have always enjoyed the idea of finding lost treasure and recovering ships claimed by the sea.  Our adventures on the sea over the centuries have cost much in mastering travel over the water.  We still put lives at great risk to do business in great waters.

One of the shows currently on is about a man searching for lost treasure ships from the sixteenth and seventeenth century.  The search for the ships is enough to capture my interest.  The undercurrent of the relationship between the searcher and his father breaks my heart.

The father treats his son with contempt and vitriol simply because the son has not lived up to the father’s expectations.  From each statement the father makes to the son it can be seen that the father is in great pain and chooses anger over love for his life.

We create wounds in our children when we choose wrong over right.  Some of them are forgiven and heal.  Some fester and do lifelong damage.  The difficulty is that when either party refuses to bend there can be no reconciliation.  There can only be healing if each accepts the humanity of the other and chooses to love at any cost.

We must not judge our children when they go in a direction that we think is wrong.  We must love them more.  We must tread that careful balance between loving the person without condition and holding onto our values.  We must own the wounds we have created in the past and seek to do right moving forward. 

Any man who ever attempted to fill the role of father when I was young held my faith in contempt.  For a time I thought that my faith was wrong and that my God did not exist.  It was the wounds form my father that caused this thinking.  It was my need for his love that drove me.  This emptiness brought me to the brink. 

I cannot undo the damage done to me or by me in this life.   Christ can and does help us find solace in following him and turning our pain into following.  He gives hope and peace if we let him. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment