15 January 2019

All out of Epithets ~ Pretty Jewelry


Greetings Dear Reader,

Imagine with me for a moment.  You are invited to someone’s home.  You have been friends for a year and had many good interactions.  This friend invites you over for dinner.  When arriving at the individual’s home, you note that it is a nice clean place with a well-kept yard.  You ring the bell and are greeted by your friend and warmly invited into the home.

As you enter you note that the inside is as well appointed as the outside.  The décor is homey and seems comfortable.  Your host takes your coat and offers you a beverage.  The smell of the meal wafts through the air filling you with anticipation.  You take a seat in the den on a comfortable couch in front of a lovely fireplace.  As you sit, you notice the antique mahogany mantle surrounding the warm blaze.  There above the mantle, hung carefully with pride is a four-foot tall, jewel encrusted, swastika.   

Re-read that if you need to do so.  What is your reaction?  How do you feel about that moment of revelation?  Unless you have a deep vein of hatred running through you, there is nothing that can make that particular symbol beautiful.

Symbols mean something until we water down the meaning and make the symbol more common than its story.  It used to be, when the symbol was new, that whenever you saw someone carrying a cross you knew you were seeing a dead man.  We have turned that symbol of death and then for Christ followers hope into jewelry that is common and complacent.

Jesus requires that we take up the cross and follow him.  He insists that if we are to be effective as his followers, we must die to the things we want that are not part of following him.  Instead we make following more comfortable so that it looks like the rest of the world.  We turn the symbol of death for the sake of life into adornments to call attention to our look and style.

I carry a cross every day.  It is hidden to everyone but me.  It is to remind me who I follow, whose I am, and where I am headed.  I do not always live up to the price of that symbol but I want to be worthy of carrying it.  I want TO carry it well and have others see Jesus not me.  I long to be dead to everything that is not what Christ has for us as his followers.

The cross is where the Father chose to make life possible for all of us.  It cannot be turned into something else without detracting from that message and intent.  I cannot become numb to the fact that I must take up the cross daily if I am to follow well.  I want others to see me as dead to my own wants.  I want to be worthy of that image.  If you want to carry your cross next to mine, you are always welcome Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +         Twitter            
Medium           Instagram        Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment