29 January 2019

Love Actually ~ Meddling


Greetings Dear Reader,

Often there was a time when my Grandfather would reach a specific point in his sermons.  He would say, “Time for me to quit preaching and get to meddling.”  Those who knew his preaching knew what was next. He was about to focus his attention on application.

I am going to meddle a bit.  Please be positive that it all applies to me as well.  There is never a moment where I point the finger at you.  Rather, I draw applications that can put my thoughts into action.  I point out actions that will demonstrate my faith.  Some of them are universal.

Ponder those you claim to love and how you currently treat them.  Push away the thoughts that urge you to focus on their faults and failures.  Dismiss the urge to justify your anger and outrage.  Consider if your treatment of those you love reflects Christ’s love for you.  Ruminate on how much they must need to see the love of Jesus if they act the way they do toward you or others.

The second thing to consider is if you would wish to be treated as you are treating others.  Do you want to be ignored, rejected, dishonored, or dismissed?  No one’s sin is worse that yours or mine.  No one’s past allows you to decide that they are unworthy of your love.  I have failed at this with people who desperately need to see the love of Christ in their moments of pain.

I know people who have walked away from faith because keeping the faith meant they had to forgive someone they did not wish to forgive.  It meant they had to love a person they thought unworthy of their demonstrated love.  This is so backwards.  We need to live out the truth that everyone deserves condemnation and is still worthy of love.  Every soul matters to the Father.  He is unwilling that any should perish. 

There is no substitute for living and applying actual love to every individual in every circumstance in every moment.  It is what the Father does for us with every grain of sand that falls through the glass.  It is his constant loving consideration of us that allows us to exist. 

I have such a long way to go but that does not mean that I am wrong about this.  It means that we can walk together toward loving the Father more deeply.  It means that we can meddle in each other’s lives deeply by showing love no matter what the cost.  We can follow Christ more closely by loving those he loves.  I begin to think of it this way:  If I am unwilling to live out actual intense love to anyone for whom Christ died then I am disagreeing with God.  I am, therefore, wrong.  No matter what protestation I can conjure, justification I can muster, or situation I can relate, Jesus loves that person in that moment.  My argument against loving in themoment is, therefore, invalid.  Failing to love others intensely and sacrificially is at the core of every wrong we commit. 

So, who is it Dear Reader that you need to love more obviously, intentionally, and flagrantly?  What do you need to do to show others that you really do love them?  As I said at the beginning of this month, my focus is to transform every interaction into an opportunity to show my love and more importantly the love of Christ to everyone.  Loving others is a battle of moments from which we may never declare a ceasefire.  What are you going to do about it? 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment