30 January 2019

Love Actually ~ Be First, Be Fast


Greetings Dear Reader,

As I get closer to the end of this discussion, I find there is a challenge that I must adopt.  A few weeks ago, someone was venting his anger at me with a good quantity of stored up venom and vitriol.  He used words that he knew would offend me and attacked me in ways that he knew would wound. 

In the midst of it I heard my heart say, “Forgive him, even when he is still harming you.”  Then I remembered Stephen’s response when he was being stoned to death, “Father do not hold this sin to their account.”  As he attacked me, I forgave him.  As I drifted off to sleep that night, I reviewed his words for my own sin and asked the Father not to hold his against him.

What we have is enough.  It is enough to protect us from any verbal or emotional assault if we let it.  Things may hurt but they need not destroy.  What we must do is become first and fast.  We must be the first in things that show that love is paramount to any other feeling, position, or place.

We must be the first to forgive.  We must do it quickly and completely without condition or caveat.  We must determine that forgiveness is not based on change in others but on the change love has made in us.  It is useless to wait for others to change for us to forgive.  It only harms everyone involved and there is fallout for those around us.

It is also vital that we be the first to seek peace.  We must do it first and fast so that bitterness does not grow in us.  It is our obligation to be at peace with anyone no matter how much pride we must surrender to achieve it.  Frist and fast at peace prevents us from collecting enemies and allows us to show love at a sacrificial level.

When we see others in need we can be first and fast to render help.  Even if all we have is a kind word, we do not know the good it can do when offered.  I find that a simple act of kindness offered does so much that I could not anticipate. I do not do this as well as I wish but being intentional about it creates a deeper desire to make it a reality.

The bottom line is deciding that we are going to be first and fast at showing, expressing, and speaking love into the lives of others.  We cannot control their choices or responses.  We can be there, loving, forgiving, giving, and waiting with open arms.  I find both power and protection in this aspect of thought.  There is pain but there is not damage.  There is purpose and peace even when others choose to remain at war with me.

Becoming first and fast at love has a price.  We will have to shed pride, self-centeredness, what we think are our rights, and the need for people to meet our needs.  In all of those things there is a type of selfishness that mitigates our attempts to love.  Still, it is worth the effort and cost.

I must become the first to love and fast to show it.  I need to radiate kindness and grace.  I will always need to hone these things.  I will always need to do better today than yesterday.  In a society where the memes have more truth than the words we say, action to love first and fast stands out.  Many will hate us for it.  Our errors will be held against us by others.  None of that prevents us from choosing to love first and fast.  I may have failed at it yesterday but I can be quick to adopt it today.  How about you Dear Reader?  Care to join me in the fight?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment