09 January 2019

Twenty-One Grams to Carry ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

The concept of twenty-one grams is that of an experiment performed by Duncan MacDougall in the early part of the last century.  His attempt was to prove that the human soul has weight.  Even though most people see the experiment as flawed, it popularized the idea that the soul has a weight of twenty-one grams.

There is also a movie 21 Grams that carries this idea as its subtext.   What I am pondering is the idea that we neglect our souls and in so doing we do not realize the full weight of the burden we bear.  I will not debate the existence of a soul here, though we can discuss it separately if you wish.  I am not sure that I will walk this path for long but I am certain that what I ponder will be important.

Whether you accept the idea of the eternal soul or not, it is worth pondering what it is we carry if it exists.  For the record, I do believe that we have eternal souls that journey through this world for a purpose.  If you are at all familiar with my writing, you know that I see this life as a journey back to God.  It is a journey to find the path of light and life. 

As many try to shake off their faith and the essence of what makes us distinct from all other life here, they also abandon the idea of the soul.  If they do not then they marginalize or homogenize the idea so that it is a god make in their image that they embrace.  I realize that this is a sharply pointed way to approach this but sometimes subtlety hurts clarity.

Proceeding from the assumption that I have a soul, I wish to ponder the full weight of what I carry and what I impact in the lives of others.   With my over-arching theme of refining my ability to love others, I would ease the burden of this very gravid 21 grams if I can for anyone.  I would have us understand that of all the things we carry on the journey, this is the one thing that matters most.

Please walk with me Dear Reader as I try to investigate how to better handle the eternal gossamer threads of that which will go on long after my body has run its course and been rendered to ash.   Let us investigate together that which truly makes us all the same no matter the appearance of the shell.  As always, I value your thoughts and questions.  After all, we are soul mates whether we wish it or not.
  
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   


No comments:

Post a Comment