08 May 2019

As You are Going ~Here’s to the Introverts


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have friends that would rather have a root canal without pain medication than be in an awkward social situation.   For a couple of them, the word social makes the situation awkward.   Yet, they too live under the requirement to teach others how to follow Christ as they are going through life.

To people like me, who fill up a room and rapidly enter a conversation with anyone there, this is an area where I have observed for many years.   It brings me great joy to make the ones who hang out on the fringe feel welcome but not a spectacle.  I desire for them to feel loved but not pushed into the spotlight or expected to be other than they are.  I am not always good at this, but I notice and care.   This has helped me learn a great deal about the ways in which one can actively show Christ to others as one is going through the world.

The idea is to learn how they observe.  Quiet and withdrawn does not equal unengaged.  My friends who are not social thunderstorms teach me to watch and listen.  It has taken me decades to learn how to sit quietly and observe.  I see its value and am learning to practice it often.  I see the ways in which a room appears different when I watch from the outside instead of being the middle of things.

I have seen a better facet of serving others through the eyes of my introverted friends.  The entire idea of serving others is a brilliant way to share the Gospel as you are making your way on the journey.  Doing it with quiet constant love is more powerful than anything I can say or teach.  My friends who prefer not to be the focus seem to know this and teach it by example often.

When they let me in, when they allow me to see who they really are, I learn so much about humility and grace.  I also learn that they face the same challenges of pride and arrogance that I face, it is just not as obvious because we associate those struggles with extroverts.  The truth is that their need for silence or solitude is not different from my need for company and conversation.   It is a gift wrapped in a curse that must be mastered through faith and following.

I must learn from everyone how to be what he or she needs to see Christ in me.  That means that when I talk about the responsibly to share Christ as we are going, I am not saying that everyone has to make instant friends in every encounter.  The strategy of silence works.   I must be always aware of this and make space for it. 

Failure to see the beauty and gifts of those who are not like me is a failure to see the multifaceted creativity of the Father.   To those of you who live the life of the introvert, Dear Reader, I know that I will never really get it.  I do, however, see you and promise not to ask you to be the same as me.  I also promise to look for the ways in which you teach others to observe Jesus.  It is one of my favorite Saints who said, “Preach the Gospel always.  When necessary use words.”   Saint Francis would be proud of the lot of you.  I love you and learn from you always.  


Oh, and you can always comment on my BLOG anonymously. 
  
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/5/19 21:29

    read in order:
    John 3:16
    1Cor 15:45
    John 8:16,29
    John 17:21
    John 10:38
    John 14:20
    1John 4:13
    John 14:17

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/5/19 21:31

    ~not alone

    ReplyDelete