16 May 2019

Transactional Analysis ~ Descartes Détente


Greetings Dear Reader,

There is a joke told about René Descartes, the seventeenth-century philosopher.   He was sitting in a coffee shop and the waitress asked him if he would like a cup of coffee.  He said, “I think not,” and disappeared.  If you do not get this, the joke is that Descartes is the one who posited that “I think, therefore, I am.” 

We have spent some time on the idea of how what we think is what we become.  We do not need to revisit that now but from it springs the idea that there is an eternal transaction going on in the mind.  We constantly create who we are by what we think.  There is a flow of thought that determines how we feel.  Then we act on our thoughts and feelings. 

At the center of this process is a maelstrom.  The war for our self-image has no ceasefires or détente.  The transactions become more automated through the process of accepting either victory or defeat.  In either case, we choose to win or lose the battle for our own value.

Yesterday I was besieged by thoughts of discouragement that wanted me to accept their terms and surrender to the idea that “my dreams are for dreaming and best left that way.”  I had errands to run but my mind pushed me to give up on them and accept instead that transaction of hopeless sitting and sulking.  It offered this up as a solution to the thoughts that were trying to discourage me.

I chose to refuse the transaction.  I chose to run my errands and do what I needed to do to keep moving forward.  I worked on capturing the discouraging thoughts and making peace with them.  I felt sad and lonely but the feelings were not allowed to be in control.  I sang a song that always makes my woeful heart cheered.

As I was preparing to check out, I heard my name called by a voice I knew right away.  It was a new but dear friend.  She saw right away that I was not myself and spent a few of her precious free moments encouraging me.  The transaction between us, offered by and founded in our love for Christ, gave me courage and a reminder that God sees how I feel and cares.

I finished my shopping, picked up some dinner, and headed to my apartment.  I had just completed my meal when my mind again offered me the transaction of discouragement.  I had plans for the evening that were foiled by the absence of the things I needed to accomplish them.  Then my phone informed me I had a text message.

Avalon sent the following, “You are on my mind.  I hope all is well with you.” Immediately, I smiled.  I responded honestly that God is good because I was not but her text made me smile.  She called and we talked for an hour.  It lifted me out of my transactional battle.

Twice my inner being tried to draw me into discouragement.  Twice I chose to do what is right and fight the darkness.  In both instances, after I made the choice, the Father sent someone to remind me that I am loved and not alone in the journey.  We can have détente with our existence if we choose to.  We have to refuse the discouraging transactions Dear Reader.  We must choose to be at peace within.  Let me know if you need the encouragement.  I am always grateful for yours.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment