22 May 2019

Needful Things ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

Last month I bought a small refrigerator.  It was a difficult thing as it is a little too permanent relative to my desire to stay as minimal as possible.  It was a practical and wise choice, but it still feels like I own too much.

I have noticed that almost everything I purchase goes through the need filter now.  I do not need much and so it is easy to choose not to buy things.  It is part of my new practice of avoiding having things.  It still feels like I own too much (Yes, Dear Reader, I realize that I just said that).

It is good for me to be as spartan as possible as I work on project tortoiseshell (thank you for the title Lori).   It is the next big step and yes, I am being cryptic on purpose.  I measure every acquisition against its relevance to the project.

For a few days, I wish to refine my thoughts on what I need.  I had a conversation with an old friend and we discussed how possessions become a hindrance to faith and following.  I have almost mastered the personal possessions bit.  I need to ponder the other needful things in my life.

Relationships, social networks, and circles of ministry all represent needs of some kind.  One of the great flaws in my character is that I am just learning how to balance my genuine social needs against the things that distract me from following the journey well.  I heard a simple statement last week that has become a steady lynchpin on which my thinking can swing.

I will get to that over the next few days.  For now, I invite you to ponder the needs that are not material Dear Reader.  Inventory them and perhaps we can find a portion of the path that lightens our burdens.  Your company along this mine-fraught area is valuable and cherished.  You are part of my social need that I always love.  Walk with me and please feel free to share your thoughts and questions.  They are always precious to me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment