07 May 2019

As You are Going ~ Just Stopping for Gas


Greetings Dear Reader,

Over-the-road travel is something I deeply enjoy.  Seeing the vistas and views of the road always brings me a new appreciation for the world and its beauty.  Travel brings other things as well.  One of them is the need to drop off and pick up liquids.

When I stop for petrol, my mind is almost always focused on my needs.  I need petrol.  I need something to drink.  I need to go to the loo.  For petrol there are self-serve pumps.  The restroom is usually available without me having to interact with anyone.  Getting a drink or snack, however, requires that I interact with the clerk at the service station. 

In that moment, I must decide how I am going to treat this individual.  I must take my mind off the needs I have and choose how I will go into the next moment.  I am just stopping for gas.  I need to simply pay for my soda and sandwich.  The entire interaction will only span a couple of minutes.  That is where the reality places me in an entirely different world.

That human across the counter becomes a fellow traveler for those couple of minutes.  He or she is journeying with me for the duration of the transaction.  I am completely responsible for how I make that person feel in the interaction.  I am obligated to love that person.  I am responsible for how that conjunction of time impacts the clerk. 

Now stretch this over the entire journey.  Consider how these brief encounters impact those with whom we share the encounter.  One impact is this:  When it is three in the morning and you do not realize that you are stopping at the same station you did a couple of years ago.  You do not remember that it is the same clerk.  She, however, remembers you and smiles broadly.  She says, “I remember you.  I was having such a bad night and you were so kind to me that last time you were here.”

Instead of a quick stop for petrol, peeing, a diet soda, and peanuts the conjunction turns into a story of encouragement and a second helping of a single-serving friendship.  You get to learn that your practice of being kind to strangers can make a difference.  You also get to learn that it changes you.

That habitual predisposition to kindness changes you Dear Reader.  It makes us predisposed to kindness in other areas.  It puts us in the position of being kind when we are just stopping for bread, just picking up something from the hardware store, or simply grabbing a quick meal at the burger place.  All of those brief encounters are opportunities to show the love of Christ as we are going.  Every interaction is a chance to be his hands and feet over the span of a couple of minutes.  It is our obligation but it is also fun. 

There is something beautiful about being kind to others.  There is something amazing in the disposition of life being set to a predisposition to kindness and love.  In that realization comes the possibility to render a life that filled with love and kindness to others.  It can begin with having the right perspective when just stopping for gas.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment