31 May 2019

Needful Things ~ Closing Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

We often find ourselves overwhelmed by the things we need.  I would draw a distinct difference between what I need and what I think I need.  Most of my wasted worry and effort comes from my manufactured needs and not the genuine ones.  My comments yesterday about self-care and our over-attention to it are directed at the needs we manufacture; the needs we create that are unnecessary.  There are genuine needs that others have that I do not understand fully. 

God by Yongsung Kim
To that, one off my dear friends commented the following.  She did not post it publicly so I withhold her name out of respect.  She is right that my perspective comes from someone who is an extrovert.  He comments draw a clear line between genuine and manufactured needs that make my point but also resonate truth for those who are not as comfortable as I am in some settings.

Hi! Love your point of view as always. Read today’s blog and once again, I feel that that specific view is one of a confirmed extrovert. While I agree with you in a general sense—yes, we are to love others above ourselves—I would be a puddle on the floor if I did not engage in some pretty serious self-care. Trust me, sometimes I would rather not focus on myself as I find myself quite tedious! But this is the way God made me. I find that as I get older, my bandwidth for people decreases. Some exit my life and I’m grateful, see it as God’s merciful provision. One less person to have to juggle. To please. To disappoint. Does that mean I don’t love them? No, I don’t think so. Because love does not mean I must insert myself into their lives. I let them go, trusting God to bring others into the sphere of their everyday to show Himself to them. And I remain open to their return to me. Or I feel led to dip my toe into the waters of their consciousness. Chasing only brings frustration and heartache. This seems to be the way of the introvert. I have to go with it. Love you dear friend—I’m so glad we hang in there with each other.

The truth I am getting at and must live is that I have to realize clearly what my genuine needs are.  I must set aside the needs are not genuine and pursue only truth.  I realize that we all feel like we are drowning in our emotional needs at times.  It is the One who walks on water who promises to supply all of our needs.  Physical, emotional, and social needs are genuine and unique to the individual.   Those can only be met through the love of Christ and the love we show each other in his grace.

It is in faith and following that I will find my needs met in ways I cannot imagine.   In that singular path, I will be able to shed the harmful things I do to meet my own false needs and the false needs themselves eventually.  Until then, when I feel like they flood over me, I can depend on Christ to care for me.  I can count on him to keep me in his care and sustain me even when I feel like I am drowning. 

I think we can agree Dear Reader that we all present as needs some things that are wants or desires.  If we lay them aside, or give them their proper place, we can find peace and faith much more easily.  As always, I am thankful for your company along the path.  Your love and support are one of the things that sustain me. 

Head Above Water – Avril Lavigne

I've gotta keep the calm before the storm
I don't want less, I don't want more
Must bar the windows and the doors
To keep me safe, to keep me warm

Yeah, my life is what I'm fighting for
Can't part the sea, can't reach the shore
And my voice becomes the driving force
I won't let this pull me overboard

God, keep my head above water
Don't let me drown, it gets harder
I'll meet you there at the altar
As I fall down to my knees
Don't let me drown, drown, drown
Don't let me, don't let me, don't let me drown

So, pull me up from down below
'Cause I'm underneath the undertow
Come dry me off and hold me close
I need you now, I need you most

God, keep my head above water
Don't let me drown, it gets harder
I'll meet you there at the altar
As I fall down to my knees
Don't let me drown, drown, drown
Don't let me, don't let me, don't let me drown
Don't let me drown, drown, drown
Keep my head above water, above water

And I can't see in the stormy weather
I can't seem to keep it all together
And I, I can't swim the ocean like this forever
And I can't breathe

God, keep my head above water
I lose my breath at the bottom
Come rescue me, I'll be waiting
I'm too young to fall asleep
God, keep my head above water
Don't let me drown, it gets harder
I'll meet you there at the altar
As I fall down to my knees
Don't let me drown
Don't let me drown (don't let me don't let me don't let me drown)

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   


No comments:

Post a Comment