09 May 2019

As You are Going ~ Those Who Serve


Greetings Dear Reader,

I need to ask you a circumstantial question.  You are at an expensive restaurant for dinner.  You are dining alone but you are content.   Your server greets you and engages in light chit-chat, suggests a featured meal, and takes your drink order.  You choose to have crab cakes, steamed asparagus, and sweet potato salad.   You enjoy some excellent fresh-baked rolls as you await your meal.

The server brings you your sweet tea.  It is good but obviously a tad bitter.  You choose to ignore it and enjoy another roll.  Your meal arrives.  It looks excellent.   It is not.  The crab cakes are not done in the middle and obviously, have too much garlic.  The asparagus is mush.  The sweet potato salad is bland and tastes mostly like mayonnaise. 

Your server enquires as to your satisfaction with the meal.  You choose not to say anything.  Your celebratory mood, however, is now cold and dismal.  The bill arrives.  The cost of your meal is $22.16.   My question is this: what do you leave as a tip?

If you leave anything less than you would normally leave there is a problem.   It is not her fault that the kitchen failed.   You did not bother to investigate as to whether she could correct the problem.  You did not give the establishment a chance to correct the errors of the meal or replace it with something different.

How we treat workers in the service industry matters.  It says a great deal about us.  We all know on some level that servers, bartenders, and attendants make less than most people.   They depend on tips for their income.  Our choice to go out to eat obligates us to reward good service. 

When others serve us, that alone puts us in a position of power even if they are paid to do so.   It is in this that we find our own character as we are going.   Like stopping for gas, our meal, no matter the circumstance is an opportunity to be good to someone.  A question I always ask servers is one to show interest in him or her.  I ask, “Is this what you love to do for work or are you working toward something else?” 

I have had people share their dreams and aspirations with me.  I have been able to encourage strangers because of that question.  I have even made life-long friends from being good to servers.  A guy who was our cabana attendant at a beach vacation overheard me teaching my Grandsons how to respect him and the work he does.  He took me aside and told me how much it meant to him.  As you are going you can impact lives by being good to those who serve you.

How we treat service people, even if the service is bad says more about us than anything.  As we are going, we have the power to be good or bad to them.  If we choose always to be good, we can make a difference even if we never see it.  I have a dear friend who was my server at a very popular burger chain.  She brought my daughter the wrong burger three times.  It was not something that could be spotted by inspection.   We made sure we treated her with kindness and grace.  A year later, I encountered her as manager of a café.  I remembered her and when I related the story, she also remembered me.  We have been good friends ever since. 

Jesus makes it clear that how we treat the least of these is how we treat him. Look the Doorman in the eye.  Smile at the waitress and be patient with her.  Do not blame the worker for the failures of the management. Please ponder this as you are going Dear Reader.  Tell me your thoughts and if you work serving others, tell me a story.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment