07 June 2021

All That Remains ~ Meritocracy

Greetings Dear Reader,

The idea of a meritocracy has gotten a great deal of attention lately. I also realize some of you have no idea what I mean. To begin, let us define the political aspect of meritocracy.


“Meritocracy is a political system in which economic goods and/or political power are vested in individual people on the basis of talent, effort, and achievement, rather than wealth or social class. Advancement in such a system is based on performance, as measured through examination or demonstrated achievement.” (Wikipedia)

It is a good thing for people to earn through talent, effort, or achievement. Alone though, this is not sustainable as there will be those who have genuine needs for which they lack the ability to earn what is required in life. It then becomes incumbent on those who have all they need to care for those who have genuine needs going unmet. This is a good way to make one’s way in the world but in the long term, it cannot stand alone.

Now we take a hard right turn into what Christ-followers are supposed to be. We are obligated to do what we can to earn our way in the world. We are also to understand the concept of all we have coming through the grace, providence, and mercy of the Father. I write books. You buy books. I earn money. This is the three-step process through with I make a living. At the core of each of those steps, however, is the love of the Father providing for my needs.

If I think I merit things, then I leave out the provision of the Father. I am not able to merit anything from him. Every single thing I have or do is allowed by the grace of God, full stop. Each day is a gift to me in which I can seek to love the Father and follow the Son. I can listen to the leading of the Spirit in doing all of this. The moment I begin to think I have merited anything from God, I have both a humility and an obedience problem.

The obedience problem is because Jesus instructs us to be completely dependent on the Father for all we need. The pride problem is due to thinking I can ever merit the Father’s favor outside of his grace and mercy. I am always better off than I deserve. Everything in my life is a blessing, Dear Reader. If I am going to follow the Son well, I must obey the concepts of working for my needs but being totally dependent on the Father to meet them. They seem exclusive until one sees the earning as a blessing as well. It is why I face the naked page each morning; thinking my thoughts and weaving my tales. It is up to me to be faithful to the work and to do it out of love for the Father. He will work out the details and they will be just what I need. What remains when I abandon thinking I merit the Father’s favor is the ability to love him without expectation and this is how it becomes beautiful.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, “That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon 
Web Page: www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook 
Twitter 
Medium 
Instagram 
BLOG Archive: http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/

When we think we merit God’s favor, we must think again.


No comments:

Post a Comment