18 June 2021

The Lion’s Share ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader, 

Song-walk with me.  When a song gets stuck in my head, I pay attention.  When it is there for two weeks, I have learned it has something to teach me and others.  Throughout the last fortnight, this song rises every time there is silence.  I have chosen to dive deeply into it and see what the Father has to say about it. This series is a walkthrough of the song The Lion’s Share by Dan Fogelberg.  If you do not know the song, it would be wise to listen to it so you can keep up.  That link will take you to it.  I suggest you right-click, open another tab, and listen to the song before we move on. 

This song is from the album The Innocent Age, Dan’s seventh album; released in 1981.  Four of his ten biggest songs came from the double-record set.  You may wonder why this matters.  First, if you have not discovered the late musician’s amazing artistry, you are missing out.  His music asks strong moral questions on almost every topic.  His answers always lead to faith and following. 

The album from which this song comes depicts many ways in which innocence is lost.  Whether it is the love song, Same Old Lang Syne or the Kentucky Derby favorite, Run For the Roses, one can hear the innocence slipping away in the stories told here.  The Lion’s Share is the second song on the second record in the two recordset.  

I am going to take my time with this.  As I think through this song, it has many things to say to me.  I quoted just one phrase to a pastor friend of mine and he was immediately captivated.  What I really wish, Dear Reader, is for you to walk with me through this fine piece of music.  Whether you agree with my analysis or not, I value your thoughts and questions. You may comment on the blog page or contact me privately if you wish. 

Please remember, my goal here is always the same and it has three parts.  I want to hear what the Spirit says clearly so that I can follow Christ close enough to step on his sandal from time to time.  I want to do all of this so I can show the Father the love he deserves.  I want you to know that I love you.  With this said, please, Dear Reader, Song Walk with me through The Lion’s Share. 

The Lion’s Share – Dan Fogelberg 

Grand slam, your moments at hand
The day holds a costly bargain
Lost lamb asking the lion's share 

Homespun, a prodigal son
Comes begging a humble pardon
But no one rises to hear his prayer 

Lone star, you've wandered so far
And long in the unfamiliar
That now you travel a map unknown 

Star bright, a constant delight
To those in the dark and still your
Birthrights to shine in the night alone 

Living in the shadows
Of the things that might have been
Torn between the blessing and the curse 

You may starve the hunger
But you'll never slake the thirst
For the nectar you remember
But you'll never taste again 

Nonesuch, your Midas' touch
Has gilded your heart and left you
So much playing the prince of clowns 

Hell-bent, empty, and spent
Just look what your gambles got you
Exiled, far from the sacred ground 

Living in the shadows
Of the things that might have been
Torn between the blessing and the curse 

You may stop the hunger
But you'll never slake the thirst
For the nectar you remember
But you'll never taste again 

Grand slam, your moments at hand
The day holds a costly bargain
Lost lamb asking the lion's share 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

“Grand Slam, your moments at hand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment