10 June 2021

All That Remains ~ There is no Purpose

Greetings Dear Reader, 

When I wrote last week about the wonder and awe I see in the cosmos, someone commented concerning the absurdity of intelligent design.  His position is one of believing in only the natural world. He denies anything supernatural.  I have written at length about my scientific and logical concerns regarding this. 


What I wish to address today is the unsustainable nature of thinking there is nothing beyond us.  We are the only species on the planet with sentience dictating a moral code outside of ourselves.  We see some other creatures with a social code but if we do not believe in God, it is simply a product of evolution and dismissible.  I am talking about the moral laws such as are found in the Code of Hammurabi, The Twelve Tables, or the Ten Commandments. 

If there is no God, I am only subject to moral laws in as much as a society enforces them and the degree to which I am willing to be a part of said society.  If my life is the product of billions of years of random events, I am answerable to no one because nothing really matters.  You may disagree with this philosophically if you wish but I have no obligation to care about anything if I am a cosmic accident. 

Some have said to me the obligation is to sustain and better the species.  As a species, we do a poor job of following our own moral codes.  It could be argued they only exist to enforce doing what is best for the majority.  I say again if I am stardust with a heartbeat and a brain, I have zero obligation to the majority.  I am free to do as I please and no one can put any law on me in good conscience.  The entire idea of morality becomes untenable.  If there is no God, then there is no tenable argument for a moral code. 

If, however, there is a God who loves me and only asks me to love him with all I am, there is something sustainable there.  If he asks me to show my love for him by loving my fellow humans, the idea of a moral code makes sense.  If he asks me to show my love by caring for his creation, I can find a path to both human and natural sustainability.  What remains in all of this is love.  

It is the Father who wishes for me to be loving, kind, gentle, and merciful.  It is my faith in his love for me motivating me to love others.  I strive to be these things out of love for the Father.  Outside of his love, my code would be unloving, self-serving, and malignant.  I love you, Dear Reader, because I love the Father and he wishes for me to love you.  Everything good in me is a result of his love, grace, and mercy to me.  Any other position is unsustainable.  

When all else is stripped away from human logic and moral reason only love remains and it is enough.  Whether you consider it a higher power, aliens, or God, if you adopt any moral code, you must admit to something greater than yourself.  I choose to follow the one who loved me enough to pay for my violations of the command to love his Father.  That is sustainable and will remain forever.  Even if you choose to disagree with me on this, I will love you and be kind to you.  It is the way. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

Moral codes of any kind are unsustainable if we are an accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment