19 November 2018

Gratitude Stories ~ Trying on Tevye

Greetings Dear Reader,

If you have not seen Fiddler on the Roof, you must.  It is the story of a Jewish dairy farmer in Russia on the eve of the Communist expansion in Russia.  Throughout the show Tevye, our dairyman talks to God about the things that are going on in his life.

I first encountered this story in the movie version.  I have since seen it on stage and performed in it as well.  I am drawn to this man’s story because of one simple thing.  He prays constantly.  It is tradition for him but it is also genuine.

My heart is to become someone who is in constant conversation with the Father.  I want my life to be an act of prayer.  I want everything that comes out of my mouth to be an expression of his love for us.  I have so far to go but this is one of those things that becomes more genuine as we do it.

My gratitude story is how well it works.  When I do this, I get in touch with how I really feel about things and I express honestly my doubts and fears.  I am able to edit out the lies and see some of the truths more clearly.  It is renewing and resetting my thinking in some interesting ways.

As I enter the week of Thanksgiving, I face some real emotional upheaval.  I am out of resources, my access to family is limited, and I have no idea how the Father will see me through this.  On the other hand, I do not know how I am going to accomplish any of the things I need to do.  On the other hand, none of us really knows and that is why we are supposed to leave it to the Father.  Without faith, It is enough to drive a man mad. 

When faced with these dilemmas, perhaps we should reason things out as Tevye did. “He loves her. Love, it's a new style... On the other hand, our old ways were once new, weren't they?... On the other hand, they decided without parents, without a matchmaker!... On the other hand, did Adam and Eve have a matchmaker?... Well, yes, they did. And it seems these two have the same Matchmaker!”

No matter how I feel or what happens, the Father is there working out the ultimate good for us all.  We do not always see it, neither do we always accept it.  That does not change the truth that the only way to keep our precarious balance is through constant conversation with the Father that includes listening and faith.  If we do this perhaps, we can have the confidence of a fiddler on the roof.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook      Google +    Twitter  Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment