14 November 2018

Gratitude Stories ~ When I am the Villain in the Story

Greetings Dear Reader,

I read a quote recently that I had to ponder for a bit.  This gratitude story revolves around a truth that is central to everything about becoming better at all the things that matter.  The first quote that got my mind turning around this idea is “remember that you are the villain in someone else’s story.”  In truth, I am.

Some of the people I have failed see me this way.  Their anger and pain, partially caused by me, is focused on the things that I did wrong.  I do not dispute that.  I am seeking forgiveness where I can and seeking to become a better man.  It is important that I make it clear that no current improvement or awareness lessens the wrongness of my wrong. 

There is a way out of every wrong thought, attitude, and action.  This part of the journey is teaching me that with some infections one must debride much necrotic tissue in order to find what can heal.  The debriding process is very painful and odious.  Here is the quote that made me realize that I am in the throes of this debriding process:

“You will never get the truth out of a Narcissist. The closest you will ever come is a story that either makes them the victim or the hero, but never the villain.”  ― Shannon L. Alder

I am determined to own my failures and offer my regrets, apologies, and restitution where I can.  When I arrived here, I had to be open with people about that part of my journey.  As a dear friend who has rejected me said so clearly, “I am no hero.”  She is right.   I am not a victim in this area either.  I made wrong choices that hurt others.  I failed my family, my friends, and those who looked to me for an example.  The sin is on me where I made those choices.

I told a friend who lovingly responded to my request for forgiveness, “I am not asking you to trust me.”  I do not wish to lead or be trusted.  I wish to be invisible except for the few areas left in me that can reflect Christ.   The cure for narcissism is Jesus. As his cousin John said, “I am not worthy to unfasten his sandal…He (Jesus) must increase and I must decrease.”

Some will see this and claim that I am playing the martyr or the victim.  I am not.  I am walking through all the places that drive my inner fear in order to debride them.  When I told some people close to me that my greatest fear has always been being alone, they immediately found ways to abandon me.  I can see why they chose to do this.  It was the first step in the Father excising the necrotic tissue around my heart that kept me from letting him teach me that he is always there for me.  I have not learned it yet but I am closer than I was.  I am learning to be alone and to value that time.

I am the villain in some stories.  In some of those cases I deserve it.  My desire is to use this to see the villains in my stories and find a way to extend to them the same love and grace that I need from those I have wronged.  I am not the victim or the hero.

The victims are the moments of love, kindness, and grace that we need to show to each other.  The hero in the story is Jesus who promises to restore us all from our deepest dead-tissue hearts.  He assures us that he will make all things right again if we will allow him to debride us and heal our wounds.

We are all wounded and wailing.  We take it out on each other when what we need to do is allow Jesus to heal our hurts.  We need to evidence our faith that he will by loving others recklessly until that love heals them as well.  I realize that this is terrifying.  It is for me too Dear Reader.  “But God has not given us a Spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and a sound mind.”  Even the worst villain can be healed by this power through the real hero in the story.  This gratitude story is that everyone of us can become the one in the story rescued by that hero.         

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook      Google +    Twitter  Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

1 comment: